Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSA Brief Introduction to Alchemy Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

A Brief Introduction to Alchemy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LilyFlower
5th Year
5th Year
LilyFlower

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 4195
Real First Name : Veronica
Warning :
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Right_bar_bleue

House : Ravenclaw
Crest : A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Ravenc10
Wand : Vine Wood & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Left_bar_bleue80 / 70080 / 700A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Right_bar_bleue

A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Empty
PostSubject: A Brief Introduction to Alchemy   A Brief Introduction to Alchemy EmptyTue May 30 2006, 15:25

Essay number 3 woo hoo! I'm into Alchemy at the moment - so yes perpare yourself once more. There's going to be many of these coming..::smirks::...Enjoy!

~*~*~

"The science of alchemy I like very well, and indeed, 'tis the philosophy of the ancients. I like it not only for the profits it brings in melting metals, in decocting, preparing, extracting and distilling herbs, roots; I like it also for the sake of the allegory and secret signification, which is exceedingly fine, touching the resurrection of the dead at the last day."
- Isaac Newton

Well, Alchemy has always fascinated people. It first grabbed my attention several years ago, when I read a Nancy Drew book called "The Mystery Of The 99 Steps". If you've read that book then you'd know what I'm talking about. Later, I read a book on the famous Pracelsus that also intrigued me. Alchemy is indeed intriguing, because no one knows if it's true or if it's pure imagination.

Alchemy is an ancient art and science dealing with the transmutation of base metals into gold, with the discovery of a super cure for all diseases, with and elixir of immortality, and with the fabrication of artificial life. Alchemy was the name given in Latin Europe in the 12th century to a science assimilated with Astrology, as both attempt to discover the relationship of man to the cosmos and to exploit that relationship to his benefit. Both sciences believe that Nature manifests the will of God. Alchemy first emerged in Ancient China, Egypt and Greece. The word is Ancient Egyptian for "Art of the black earth" and Greek for “Art of making metal ingots". Aristotle taught that all matter was composed of four elements: water, earth, fire, and air; and that most materials found in nature had different ratios of these four elements. Therefore, a base metal could be changed into gold. Of course, since Celestial bodies were thought to influence Nature, Alchemists always waited for an ‘appropriate’ configuration of the moon and the stars to transform metals effectively.

As early as the 13th century, Alchemical treatises contained not only mystical theory but also important practical recipes. Arnold of Villanova explained the distillation of wine; Roger Bacon gave a recipe for gunpowder and instructions for constructing a telescope. Consequently, a few kings used Alchemists to increase their fortune; if an Alchemist should fail, he would lose his life. Therefore, from the 15th to the 17th century, alchemical symbolism and allegory became complex. Alchemy used to be considered a criminal activity of witchcraft and blasphemy, yet it was the basis of today’s Chemistry. So Alchemists referred to chemicals, acids and metals in a symbolized way only they could understand. A secret language. For example, a chemical formula mentioning ‘Gold’ would be easily intercepted. And so ‘Gold’ was referred to as ‘The Red Lion’ in all messages exchanged between Alchemists. Thus, ‘The White Queen’ would mean ‘Silver’, and so forth.

Alchemists made sure their labs were impossible to find; often they were located in hidden basements. These labs were filled with numerous instruments, manuscripts, skulls, animal specimens, and mystical objects including altars.

Nothing has been created as ultima materia -- in its final state. Everything is at first created in its prima materia, its original stuff. For alchemy means: to carry to its end something that has not yet been completed. To obtain the lead from the ore and to transform it into what it is made for.... Accordingly, you should understand that alchemy is nothing but the art that makes the impure into the pure through fire.... It can separate the useful from the useless, and transmute it into its final substance and its ultimate essence.

The transmutation of metals is a great mystery of nature. However laborious and difficult this task may be, whatever impediments and obstacles may lie in the way of its accomplishments, this transmutation does not go counter to nature, nor is it incompatible with the order of God, as is falsely asserted by many persons. But the base, impure five metals-- that is, copper, tin, lead, iron, and quicksilver-- cannot be transmuted into the nobler, pure, and perfect metals-- namely, into gold and silver-- without a color, or without the philosophers' stone...."

An excerpt from Paracelsus, Selected writings, ed. Jolande Jacobi, trans. Norbert Guterman.

In the Renaissance, necromancers, wizards and Alchemists obsessed about the Philosopher's Stone. Chinese and Arab Alchemists especially believed it to be a medicine that could turn a base metal into gold and also act as an Elixir of Life. He who possesses the Philosopher's Stone possesses Truth; he is immortal because Reason counters death and he is healed of Ignorance _ the worst of all diseases. Excerpts can be found from a famous text titled: The Water Stone of the Wise.

But, that is all I know about Alchemy – I could go on but I figure that’s enough of a basis for you. Isn’t it fascinating? Let us conclude with a few words from Thomas Norton, a 15th century British Alchemist, words that stress on the secrecy of Alchemy.

"This art must ever secret be.
The cause whereof is this, as ye may see:
If one evil man had thereof all his will,
All Christian peace he might easily spill,
And with his pride he might pull down
Rightful kings and princes of renown."

~*~*~

There it is - so yes - I'm nuts I KNOW lol.

Sources: As usual my own knowledge and books and for you a site to follow by if ever you need it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomy_tower/
Elfie Dumbledore
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-21
Number of posts : 15397
Real First Name : Sharon
Warning :
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Left_bar_bleue1 / 31 / 3A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Right_bar_bleue

House : I didn't retire...I surrendered!
Crest : A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Hogwar10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Right_bar_bleue

A Brief Introduction to Alchemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Brief Introduction to Alchemy   A Brief Introduction to Alchemy EmptyWed May 31 2006, 17:04

lol I already knew you were nuts!! But it doesnt stop your great writing skills! For another great essay I award you 50 housepoints
Back to top Go down
http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com

A Brief Introduction to Alchemy
Page 1 of 1