Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
Severus Snape Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
Severus Snape Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
Severus Snape Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
Severus Snape Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
Severus Snape Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
Severus Snape Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
Severus Snape Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
Severus Snape Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
Severus Snape Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
Severus Snape Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
Severus Snape Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
Severus Snape Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
Severus Snape Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
Severus Snape Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
Severus Snape Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSSeverus Snape Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Severus Snape

Go down 
+12
Arlywyn
Amy
Fated4HP
Snapes_girl
xLauren Lupinx
KatieBellaTrix
littleprincess_01
Ilyria
Venus
Dizzy Flower
Etta
Elfie Dumbledore
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Elfie Dumbledore
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-21
Number of posts : 15397
Real First Name : Sharon
Warning :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue1 / 31 / 3Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

House : I didn't retire...I surrendered!
Crest : Severus Snape Hogwar10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Trustworthy Snape Theory   Severus Snape EmptyMon Jul 24 2006, 06:23

Wow! When searching the internet as I occasionally do! I came across a post from mugglenet of severus snape and a theory of spinners end. It took my breath away and I support Snape!! I know there is a severus snape thread already, though I thought this thread could be of the in depth theories trying to prove to all of you disbelievers out there that snape is actually good!

Anyway, it is quite long, but worth the read.
As taken from a thread at mugglenet.com

Quote :
The purpose of starting this thread is to take a close look at this theory and see if it fits with the events of the rest of the book in a reasonable way.

It’s assumed that Polyjuice produced the change.

It deserves its own thread because it is very focused, but completely alters the import of much of the rest of the book. Posting this theory in a more general thread will only annoy the majority of the people posting there, because (1) this theory is fundamental enough to undermine a high percentage of the arguments they can make, and (2) it’s ridiculus to try and deal with both the mainline angle and a fringe angle (ie: this one) at the same time. I know it annoyed me over on Dev of Sev, getting a fringe-theory take on a post I’d made -- a general thread can’t handle it reasonably.

Why ‘trustworthy’ Snape in the title? Two reasons: Firstly, it avoids overcomplicating the discussion, it pre-empts having to always make two arguments (which no-one will want to do, but will have to do if they care at all about completeness); Secondly, Dumbledore repeadedly insists it’s true, and I prefer to believe him. Lastly, Snape’s actions throughout the series actually demonstrate very clearly that he is 100%, rock solid trustworthy, to see this it’s only necessary to turn the ‘Harry filter’ off --- doubters can make their case here Dev of Sev HBP <http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=60356>, do research starting here Dev of Sev OOP (the posts tend to be brilliant and researched, it’s great reading).

---- ---- what you may not need to know: why I’m here ---- ----
After reading several thousand posts over on Dev of Sev HBP Dev of Sev HBP (and Dev of Sev OOP versions) it became clear that Snape is Dumbledore’s good guy --- I went there looking for info-support of a sadistic streak and instead discovered that I had no idea about the character at all. Just turn the ‘Harry filter’ off.

This confidence makes Snape’s AK look ridiculous, unless one can find a reason that would justify the Snape characters actually following through on such a thing. (want to see? start here: Reason Search) I came up with a few acceptable possibilities (eg: ‘Dumbledore is already dying’, ‘save Snape from the UV’) , but eliminated them all to my own satisfaction (ie: they are not true in light of canon support). So here was a character doing something he would never do (IMHO). On top of that was Dumbledore’s asking him to ‘break his soul’, to help him commit suicide --- that’s also ridiculous (as I said I eliminated all the reasons I considered acceptable).

Having expended all the ability at my disposal, and having still utterly failed to provide a reasonable fit for the parts, the only alternative is to explore other theories --- go to the fringe a bit. To paraphrase, if the simplest explanation doesn’t fit, then start to explore others.

I believe this is a reasonable theory (I saw several choices, but this one looks most attractive).
And it sounds like fun to me.

Also, it is then not too difficult to find a scenario where Snape did not kill Dumbledore, and Dumbledore didn’t ask Snape to break his soul and kill him.
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

I’m commited to systematically working my way through this theory with it’s originator, Paintball. Here’s his theory =>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintball
AN INTELLIGENT MAN’S MISTAKES ARE BIG ONE’S

Dumbledore admitted his biggest weakness is when he makes a mistake it is a big mistake. Most people think this admission was foreshadowing his being wrong about trusting Snape. This may be the case, but what if he had already made a major mistake, he knew it, and it was a real big mistake? Not a mistake of emotion, but a mental mistake. One caused by his intelligence and not his emotions. The mistake was taking the unbreakable vow. What has caused me to come to this conclusion?
(1) To begin with, I cannot picture any Slytherin taking the unbreakable vow. It is so out of character for a Slytherin. Now a Gryffindor, not out of character at all. In addition it makes no sense for Snape to take the vow. If he was loyal to Voldemort to agree to give up his post to save Draco’s life would not receive favor with Voldemort. I read all the post on why a Dumbledore loyal Snape would take the vow, and they don’t make sense to me. Why would anyone take the vow? To prove their loyalty. This is the reason JKR wants her readers to assume as Snape’s reason. But the only person to whom Snape needed to prove his loyalty was Voldemort, not Bella. To ease a person’s suffering? I submit this is a reason to take the vow, but one that would be out of character for Snape, but not Dumbledore.
(2) Dumbledore is very gracious, and seems to feel that offering refreshments to a guest is always the polite thing to do. Snape offered Narcissa and Bellatrix wine when they arrived at his house unannounced. In fact, Snape’s politeness toward the sisters is so out of character. When they arrive at the door and ask to speak to him, he replies “But of course.” Not, “About what?” His amusing use of the English language is so Dumbledore like. Example: “Narcissa, I think we ought to hear what Bellatrix is bursting to say; it will save tedious interruptions.” In rereading Chapter 2 the adjectives used to describe Snape’s tone and demeanor is so unlike Snape and so like Dumbledore. The ways Bella’s questions are turned back on Bella are so Dumbledore like.
(3) When Dumbledore first consented to take the unbreakable vow what did he agree to do? “Would you look after him, see he comes to no Harm?” Dumbledore’s view at taking this vow would be that he would do everything is his power to convince him to come over to the good side and to protect him from Voldemort. His plan when told of Draco’s orders was to save Draco by getting him to agree to let the order fake his death like he offered to do on the tower. Why didn’t he bring Draco into his office and offer this alternative sooner. Draco was ready for such an offer at the time of the bathroom scene. His intelligence told him it was safe to take this vow. This is what he intended to do anyway. But, the last vow was added and this surprised him. “And, should it prove necessary….if it seems Draco will fail, will you carry out the deed that the dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?” What was going through his mind, before he made the mistake of saying “yes?” Did he think, it will never be necessary? Notice how the sentence started with “If necessary”, but then the sentence was started over again. Imagine how Dumbledore’s heart sank when he reviewed his actions in the penseive. Did he think, I would rather die then a young child like Draco? I don’t know what he was thinking, but his logic caused him to make the biggest mistake we have seen in the series.
(4) Why was Dumbledore at Snape’s house under the Polyjuice portion? This is the easy question to answer. For years Dumbledore has been trying to interview everyone who had any contact with Voldemort to confirm his suspicion of the use by Voldemort of Horcruxes and to determine how many he made and what they were. He had been doing this without telling anyone what he was doing, not even Snape. If possible, he would not have let the possibility of interviewing Wormtail go past. Possibly, Dumbledore made one of Snape’s assignments to arrange the meeting. The interview was unfortunately interrupted by Narcissa and Bellatrix. What did he confirm from this interview? “After an interval of some years, however, he used Nagini to kill an old muggle man, and it might then have occurred to him to turn her into his last Horcrux.” Harry never told Dumbledore of the contents of his dream at the beginning of GOF. He told Sirius that his scar hurt and Sirius told Dumbledore, but not that Voldemort had killed the old man. Dumbledore knew of the death from reading the Muggle newspapers, but didn’t know for sure that Voldemort had committed the murder. He didn’t offer Harry proof of a memory that would confirm this theory like he did the others. Why? Because the proof to support this theory would have given too much away about the end of the series.
(5) Dumbledore set up the appointment to take Harry to the Burrow at 11:00PM. The guidelines from the ministry had suggested that all travel be concluded by night. This makes perfect sense. I can’t picture Dumbledore making this trip at night, unless a previous appointment had to be kept prior to his picking up Harry. I see no reason why the visit on Slughorn could not have been made in the daylight.
(6) Dumbledore knew Draco was trying to kill him. Without the second part of the unbreakable vow he could have brought Draco into his office and asked him:” Is there anything you want to tell me?” We have seen him do this many times. He then would have protected him as he offered to do on the tower. He must have felt horrible that he could have prevented the harm to Ron and Katie, by stopping Draco. I am certain that right up to the end Dumbledore was trying to figure out a way around the second part of the unbreakable vow.
(7) JKR’s style of writing. She has treated the Harry Potter books as much Mystery as fantasy. In her last interview she confirmed she might be interested in writing mystery books after she completes book 7. It would be so unlike her to have the obvious turn out to be the truth. She has stated that she views book 6 and book 7 has really one book, which means the surprise twist we so expect from her has not yet occurred.
This is just my guess on one part of HBP. I am a big reader of mystery novels and one of the games I play is trying to guess the twist before it comes. I admit I have not been able to guess any of JKR’s prior twist before they come. If I had continued to read HBP and book 7 as one book, I would not have guessed the outcome I am now guessing, It took several readings of HBP to come up with this theory. I would never read the first half of a mystery several times before reading the second half. I think JKR is trying to do something that no other mystery writer has ever done, create a twist that makes sense with a gap of over two years between the first half and second half of a book with every reader trying to guess her twist. Of course her twist could be that the obvious was the answer.

I would like to respond to a couple of points to get started (rather than trying to do them all at once).

Might as well start out with what Dumbledore actually said about himself, because if it is a hint, then it’s supports the idea that an alternative exists =>
Quote:
“But do you think you’re right?” said Harry.
“Naturally I do, but as I have already proven to you, I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being – forgive me – rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger.” (Dumbledore) (HBP,ch10,p197Am)

I agree with Paintball that (1) this is indeed a hint about something to the reader, and (2) it’s likely something that’s already happened. Notice, Dumbledore actually uses the word ‘huger’ ! It’s not just a ‘big’ mistake he’s talking about, it’s ‘huge’ !!

I also agree with point #2, that it’s not hard to imagine that it really is Dumbledore speaking at Spinner’s End (HBP,ch2). In fact it’s a lot of fun to read it that way – a good bit of humor!

I don’t agree that the politeness is out of character for Snape, though. It’s just not supportable. The the few passages available in the texts with Snape interacting socially with peers actually suggest the opposite. And ‘turning Bella’s questions back on her’ is also very Snape-like, if you ask me. But for the overall argument I don’t think it matters.

On the other hand, I do indeed think it may be out of character for Snape to explain himself to anyone at all. So it’s odd that he would explain himself to Bella. As you mention in point #1, the only person Snape needs to prove his loyalty to is Voldemort.

Motive is a critical consideration, so I like the inclusion of point #4 – Dumbledore was there to interview Wormtail concerning underlying things that Snape knew nothing about (ie: Horcruxes). I think your reasoning is good – straightforward. Let me contribute=>
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HBP,ch23,p506Am)
“I wonder what you will say when I confess that I have been curious for a while about the behavior of the snake, Nagini?” ..(snip)..

“After an interval of some years, however, he used Nagini to kill an old muggle man, and it might then have occurred to him to turn her into his last Horcrux.”

It’s a great point you make that there is little other way Dumbledore could have learned of Voldemort’s killing of Frank Bryce and its connection to Nagini, except from a Wormtail interview. Nice catch Paintball.

An additional support that Dumbledore didn’t hear it from Harry: Harry, in his dream (GoF,ch1), sees Voldemort kill Frank, not that Nagini killed Frank. So Dumbledore has heard something different from what Harry saw. So Harry also couldn’t have told his dream to Dumbledore at some later time (and a time that is not reported in the books). On the other hand, Wormtail was standing right there in the room with Voldemort when it happened, after all, so if the info came to Dumbledore from Wormtail, then why didn’t Wormtail get it right? (ie: Dumbledore tells Harry that Nagini was used to kill Frank) Unknown.

Also in support of Dumbledore’s motive to be at Spinner’s End, there’s the second line quoted above, he says straight out that he’s ‘been curious for a while’ about Nagini. It’s information that he has considered important. And Dumbledore could have coaxed the additional details (mentioned a few lines further on) of Nagini’s behavior out of Wormtail as well (although Snape could know details about Nagini).

But I agree that your own argument is very reasonable as to where his information came from – it came from Wormtail at Spinner’s End. On the whole it fits very well.

On point #3 --- why should Dumbledore take the vow? I think it’s because Snape is supposed to be Narcissa’s husband’s friend (ie: a friend of Lucius), and he believes Snape would want to protect Draco, his friend’s son (just as Dumbledore does), so why not take a vow to help and protect him? No good reason not to. However, then comes the third part of the vow, why would Dumbledore agree to the third part?=>

...continued in next post....
Back to top Go down
http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyMon Jul 24 2006, 06:23

Quote :
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HBP,ch2,p36Am)
“And, should it prove necessary . . . if it seems Draco will fail . . .” whispered Narcissa (Snape’s hand twitched within hers, but he did not draw away), “will you carry out the deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?”

You may be right, he may have thought he had some ‘rather cleverer’ interpretation of the what was going down, a ‘loophole’ as I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere.

One other possibility is that taking the vow at all was the ‘rather cleverer’ thing that Dumbledore did. Agreeing to the third part because if he does not, then his friend Severus Snape’s life would be in jeopardy! I mean, there ‘Snape’ supposedly is finally demonstrating his ultimate loyalty to the Death Eaters, and at the critical moment he backs out!? Dumbledore screwed up, and rather than make his friend pay for his mistake, he sacrifices himself. One complaint on this score is that Dumbledore could just allow Snape’s conver to be blown, after all Dumbledore is extremely valuable, more so than Snapes ability to spy, then Snape could do other things under Dumbledore’s protection.

In any case he took the vow and made a ‘correspondingly huger’ mistake. I agree with you, I think it is reasonable under the circumstances, whatever the final reason.

So far so good . . .
[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Etta
Deputy Head : Hufflepuff HoH : Divination Professor : 6th Year
Deputy Head : Hufflepuff HoH : Divination Professor : 6th Year
Etta

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-03
Number of posts : 6607
Real First Name : Bee
Warning :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

House : HUFFLEPUFF
Crest : Severus Snape Huffle10
Award Bar :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue78 / 70078 / 700Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Something to consider about Snapeypoo being GOOD!   Severus Snape EmptyWed Aug 16 2006, 04:13

okay, as some may know i spend a lot of time trowling through the hundreds of theories on websites such as Mugglenet, Leaky, even imdb and this morning was no different. Whilst reading through the message boards on imdb for HBP i came across a theory which not only made me go wow, but also think that perhaps the author has a very good point. That is why i am going to post the theory here, make no mistakes this is not my theory it is by swan-swan from imdb.com:

" All right, I think I have it all organized...this is going to be kept quick and simple.

Dumbledore had a plan on the night that he died. The night they went Horcrux-hunting. The end result was what happened, perhaps exactly, perhaps with a slight difference. My current guess at what it was....

Well, thanks to vick3ie finding this a long time ago, I know when it began...when Harry told Dumbledore about Malfoy finishing something. Dumbledore knew, then, that Malfoy had succeeded in his plan, and that tonight would be the night that he tried to kill him. What he was going to do, he didn't know--if he was going to use some new spell he had learned, bring in some Death Eater backup, or rev up the fully armored MagiTank 3000 and blast his office to smithereens...but he figured that whatever it was, the plan was going to lead into a stand-off between the two of them, wand-to-wand (which rules out the last one, but I was being silly). Thus, he set the plan into motion. He had had it prepared, and now it was time to alert those he needed to perform their duties.

So he dismissed Harry, telling him to go and fetch his Invisibility Cloak--even though he knew that Harry had it with him, as he always did during that year. But he knew that Harry would take the opportunity to leave in order to bid his friends farewell and do all of that important stuff.

The moment he was gone, he acted. He sent out two Patronuses...one to Severus Snape, the other one to his own brother, Aberforth Dumbledore. He could have even just told Snape via some other method, personal talk or Floo Powder or whatever else, and then had Snape send the message to Aberforth. Whatever the method, both of them got it and prepared.

Thus, when Dumbledore met Harry in the entrance hall several minutes later, the plan was ready to go. He and Harry left, strolling all of the way down to Hogsmeade....instead of Disapparating outside of the gates where the Death Eaters would later do so. Perhaps it was to make sure that whatever accomplice Draco had in Hogsmeade (who was no doubt already considered by him, though her identity was not yet fully known) saw them going...perhaps it was to check and make sure that Aberforth had received the message. Whatever it was, they went off together.

Then the Horcrux hunt went on; in the meantime, Aberforth and Snape assumed their positions. Snape, you will notice, was in his office, where Dumbledore knew he would be (so no excuses about him hiding there, please, Dumbledore knew where he was), instead of patrolling the corridors with the other members of the Order.

Then, Dumbledore returned, weakened and possibly dying. Knowing that he had little time one way or another, he said that he had to see Severus--either to be cured of the potion or killed to fulfill the Vow, he wanted him. Odds are leaning toward the latter...he had to get Draco out of there safely. But there may have been something he wanted Snape and Harry to discuss, or something he had to tell him....we can't know until later. But whatever his reason, he was immediately made aware that Draco had already taken action and was not waiting for him to return to do his job...the Dark Mark was on the tower.

Thus, he ordered up some brooms, told Harry to stay hidden, and then swooped off to the tower. The area that was quite obviously a trap--instead of using the gates, a window, or any tower, he went right up to the Dark Mark. He didn't even summon Fawkes, tell Harry to remain behind, and have Fawkes take him back to somewhere safe in the school. He flew up quite obviously. On his way up, he removed some of the enchantments protecting the castle--and in the process, allowed Aberforth to open the gates below. Dumbledore landed on the tower, making sure that Harry was still invisible...but there were no Death Eaters waiting for them there. So he sent Harry down to get Snape, invisible. He needed Snape to be told about this, so that he could get up here--otherwise, there was no way for him to know.

But before Harry could go downstairs, Draco showed up. Ordering Harry to one side, Dumbledore froze him in place so that he could not interfere. Harry would be freed when he died, or when he released him to help with Draco....but he couldn't act before then. Thus, he allowed himself to be disarmed. Only in that manner could he gain Draco's full trust. He was placing everything on the belief that Draco wasn't a killer--a belief that was proven correct by Draco and Rowling. With that bold move, he stood there and confronted Draco. He outlined the terms, describing everything that he could do for Draco, everything the Order could do for him and his mother. Draco considered...and finally accepted.

All of this served another purpose, too: Dumbledore had found the perfect way to reveal the truth about Draco to Harry without any denial or interruption. The same was true of the plan, and how he had known...

But then the plan took a small twist. The four Death Eaters burst onto the tower, and the plan was suddenly in jeopardy. Dumbledore could not reveal Harry and send him to get Snape, nor could he take Draco now....but he maintained his strength, and hoped that Draco would not kill him still....yet all may have fallen into ruin....

Had it not been for the fortunate fact that Snape had been alerted already by Flitwick. He arrived on top of the tower, knowing exactly what was happening. He arrived, surveyed the scene, took in the facts...Dumbledore looked like he was dying, Draco was not going to do the deed, and there were four other Death Eaters there, at least one of which had their wand pointing at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore spoke....he said Severus's name, and Snape stepped forward at his call. He looked at Dumbledore, afraid of what he had to do, but knowing what he had to do...he hated himself, he was revolted by what he was being asked to do...but he did it anyway.

He killed Dumbledore.

Not a perfect curse. Instead of killing him and dropping him to the ground, it threw him backwards, over the tower. Enough of a distraction, anyway. The deed was done, but now was not the time to grieve--he had his orders. Thus, he quickly grabbed Draco and took him down, keeping him safe as per his orders from Dumbledore and Narcissa. He ran downstairs, leading the Death Eaters down. Hurrying through the battle, he made sure to keep Draco safe...but the other Death Eaters stopped to fight the Order. Taking the initiative, he called the Death Eaters off. He drew them off, took them downstairs, away from the battle. He ran all the way to the front gates, as planned, not fighting or confronting anyone--just getting them out of there alive.

He reached the grounds and ran forward...and there, the gates were open. Opened by Aberforth and Albus before. Ready to let them go. And so they charged on; behind them, a Death Eater set fire to Hagrid's hut, but Snape had to get Draco out safely first, then he could get the Death Eaters off....

But suddenly, a jet of light shot past his head, and he realized that the mission had almost failed. Someone was behind them...the gates were too far to get away...he had to stand and hold them off, because he could. So he ordered Draco to run, and turned to face the attacker and get the Death Eaters out. And he found himself facing Harry.

Meanwhile, Draco ran for the gates, almost panicking now, as he didn't have any way of leaving...he couldn't Apparate. But as soon as he came out of the gates, Aberforth appeared--or didn't. He may have been invisible, wearing a cloak or donned with a Disillusionment Charm--he may have even Summoned Harry's Invisibility Cloak from the top of the tower. Whatever it was, he was waiting for Draco. He took him, and Disapparated to Grimmauld Place after a hasty explanation to Draco. Once there, he either passed him a pre-made note from his brother or told him himself.

Snape, meanwhile, called the other Death Eaters off. In the meantime, he faced Harry, jeering him, trying not to show his pain. He focused himself on his hatred of Harry...but when Harry was attacked by another Death Eater, he intervened on Harry's behalf to save him, using the excuse that the Dark Lord wanted him (something that may have been common knowledge among the Death Eaters). Then he stood against Harry for a moment longer, making sure that all of the Death Eaters were gone...and then Harry began using his own spells against him. Indignant and enraged at this, he disarmed Harry, feeling hatred for himself and Harry at the same time....and then Harry let him know in no uncertain terms that he had witnessed Dumbledore's death. In the same breath, he had also accused him of cowardice--something Snape had been trying to deny furiously since the moment he struck Dumbledore down.

This wasn't something Snape had known would be in the plan, and thus he went completely berserk. If the Order knew that he had done it before he could explain the whole plan, how could he be trusted? He struck out at Harry, then fled into the night as Buckbeak attacked.

From there, I have only two guesses as to where he Disapparated. He either returned to Voldemort's side to resume his role of spy and note that Draco had not made it....or else he went to the Malfoy's manor to grab Narcissa and return to Grimmauld Place with her. Thus Voldemort would be denied of his prey in one fell swoop. If he didn't go there, though, it is possible that Moody or Kingsley or any other member of the Order went there....Dumbledore had said himself that he could send members of the Order to her on that night. Just because he died doesn't mean that they couldn't go....

And thus, Malfoy family rescued and switching sides, Snape is free of worry about Vows, students saved, Voldemort's evil plan foiled, good triumphs once again and Harry is all set to take out the bad guy. "

ALthough this post was generally mocked on imdb, i found it intriguing for the simple fact that is throws open a whole new direction for what will happen in book 7, plus i think Elfie will be pleased to know there is a good theory for Snape being Good (LONG LIVE SNAPEYPOO!). Anyway, i want to know what you all think, could it have been possible for Dumbledore to have set a plan in motion whilst Harry was in his common room giving orders to his friends? Do you think that the hate and repulshin(sp?) etched on Snapes face was because of his own feelings towards the task at hand or because he just simply hated Dumbledore and is actually a bad bad man (ELfie do not kill me i lobe you!).

Although i am all for the Snapeypoo being good theory i have stumbled across something which makes me think perhaps Dumbly didnt know about the U.V. But then something solid points to Snape being a good guy, here read:

In the tower, Draco and Dumbly are talking, (UK edition page 549) Draco tells Dumbly that Snape wasnt doing his orders, he had promised Narcissa, which is when Dumbly cuts him off, saying "Of course that is what he would tell you, Draco, but -" now it made me think did Snape actually tell Dumbly about U.V?

But then we go further along the book and as Snape is running for his life (who wouldnt when you have Harry Potter the boy who escaped Voldielocks how many times?I'd be scared if Harry was chasing me with his wand!) Harry attacks him, he turns to fight, but during this 'fight' Snape is still giving Harry help, guidance and knowledge - he told Harry he needs to keep his mouth shut and think or sumit along those lines. If Snape was really bad would he still be trying to help Harry? Me thinks not. LONG LIVE SNAPEYPOO!!!

Anyway what do you lot think?

oh btw if anyone notices a M missing from my words, tell me, i think my keyboard hates the M and well, ive looked over this twice and i think i have them all in there but still...!
Back to top Go down
Dizzy Flower
1st Year
1st Year
Dizzy Flower

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-28
Number of posts : 103
Real First Name : Cathy
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff
Award Bar :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Snape Debate   Severus Snape EmptyThu Sep 21 2006, 16:39

I have seen a few snape related topics here but not one that simply focuses on the thoughts of his character and actions so i thought i would open one - I hope this is alright?

I'll start the ball rolling by talking of spinners end, a subject which seems to be popping up all over the place at the moment.

Why does Rowling talk about Snape so openly while we had trouble knowing anything about the real plans of the enemies before?! Be it Pettigrew, Lucius, the Horcruxes, Kreacher, Crouch Snr&Jnr, Sirius while an escapee, Voldemort, Quirell, the Diary Horcrux, the Order business, Albus... whoever it was, Rowling was never so blunt before! Why would she do that now? Why unveil all the mysteries right away?! Why have Snape be the traitor and why are we to know why he is right in chapter 2?! If I weren't a Snape fan, I would know from the start that Snape was going to betray everyone in the end, the suspense would somehow be dampened because I would know who was going to make everything bad in the end for the heroes. This sounds very 'unRowling' to me even though she said: Book 6 is not about more mysteries, it's about answers. But why would she kill the suspense this way? I mean, you ought to have been a real Hufflepuff is after reading the second chapter you didn't think: "Oh no, Snape is a bad guy. I hope they catch him!".

Rowling needed us to worry and be highly suspicious about Snape from the start of Book6 . Why not simply have Narcissa visit and do the Unbreakable Vow whenever there was a third witness? After all, Narcissa didn't plan on her sister coming because she told her to go back and leave her alone. She didn't know Wormtail would be there, so she intended Snape to swear to the UVow at a later appointment. So why bring Bellatrix along and have Snape expose all his well planned actions proving that he is still a Death Eater and never truly turned coat?!

Yes, she kept the surprise of us finding out Snape was the Half-Blood Prince, but then again, wasn't she quite blunt in his exposure of his evil plans in this chapter?! That sounds fishy! What's the best hiding technique? Expose the facts so no one will ever notice what's truly going on in the background.

Snape never offers information about his secret activities for the Light. Snape keeps his secrets to himself, both bad and good! And that is why I am not convinced when I hear Snape spill his inner most secrets and strategies to Bellatrix and Narcissa in the second chapter of Book 6. If we were to believe Snape worked for the good side in order to stun everyone when he finally kills Dumbledore, wouldn't Rowling focus on his good secret actions instead of feeding us his bad spying activities from the start? I think so, very strongly so!
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Sep 21 2006, 16:47

I have just been reading a passage from whysnape.com which I will outline below. It has some very interesting points about snape being given the DADA job:

Quote :
If Snape told the truth to Bella, that Dumbledore feared a relapse in the past teaching years of Snape, then Dumbledore thinks that Snape's interest in the Dart Arts is somewhat equivalent to any dependency we know of. For example, we all know that the best way for an ex-alcoholic to keep going on is to never touch a glass or bottle of alcohol ever again. We know that an ex-smoker should not smoke a cigarette ever again. We know humans are frail when it comes to such dependencies and that the best remedy if not the only one is to not touch it anymore. But is Dumbledore so worried about Snape that he won't let him teach what he loves best? After all, who would be better to teach how to defend yourself from the Dark Arts than someone who has been through it before? We know it takes an ex-alcoholic to help another because people simply can't understand the drive and the attraction of alcohol as well as an ex-drinker. Therefore, I have always had my doubts about the real reasons or the whole truth of Snape never getting the DADA class. But I always thought it had to be BIG and have many consequences on the plot or Rowling wouldn't have mentioned it from the first book and on. Giving him the job now for the reason Snape just told Bellatrix (and apparently Voldemort) doesn't make any sense! Why? Because now that the Dark Lord has risen again, it is even more dangerous for Snape to succumb to the Dark Arts!! It's as simple as that! When you have an ex-alcoholic under your roof and that you kept him 15 years without being able to teach his favourite subject, Defense Against Alcohols and Drugs, because you thought he would relapse that makes sense. What doesn't is that in your employee's 16th year of service, you suddenly ask him to teach DAAD BUT you also know your teacher's 'old pals' are in town and have reopened a liquor store downtown where beer, wine and spirit alcohols flow freely from their store public fountain!! That would be insane! Therefore, my point of view is that the reason why Snape never got the job was not because Dumbledore feared a relapse. If Dumbledore really feared a relapse, then he wouldn't have given the job to Snape that year because Snape was the Order's best spy! If you fear your spy will turn on you, you'll make sure he is monitored very closely. Did you see anyone monitoring Snape closely? I didn't. And you don't tempt your spy either by putting him in the kingdom of the Dark Arts!

Some other things to consider in the argument that snape IS good, again from whysnape.com though it mirrors my own thoughts exactly

Quote :
Veritaserum: yes, Dumbledore used it without any qualms on Barty Crouch Jr so he would use it on Snape if he needed to. Dumbledore would have asked Snape what he knew, what he didn't know, what he was ready to do to make it up to the Light and bring down Voldemort, etc. But Veritaserum is good only for the present, you would have to retest someone each year to make sure they weren't hiding something.
Unbreakable Vow: yes, I love this theory because it's perfect! No loopholes with this one: you do what you promised to or you die. That's it that's all! Dumbledore would make Snape swear he would do anything to bring down the Dark Lord, that he would protect the Order of the Phoenix, that he didn't want to be a Death Eater thereof and that would prove that he was genuinely guilty.

Snape and Harry

Quote :
Revealing information to Harry (or trusting Harry with the truth): Dumbledore needs Harry to trust him but Harry has something against Snape that he cannot yet overcome emotionally. This may explain why Dumbledore would hesitate to share such secret information, one piece of info that could mean Snape's death as well, because Harry would surely not be able to keep it for himself. Harry usually only hides from Ron and Hermione what he's ashamed of, but something like that was bound to be retold by Harry. It was because he is biased about Snape as a spy, as much as Snape is biased about Harry as a student. But Snape always saved Harry in the past even though he dislikes him as a student, he does the right thing. Is Harry mature enough to do the right thing even though it appears to be a thorn in your side at first? I don't think so and if Dumbledore hesitated because he wasn't sure if he should tell Harry or not, I say he did the right thing.
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Sep 21 2006, 16:55

continuing on second post due to length

What if Snape made an Unbreakable Vow to Dumbledore? What was or were the vows?

Snape promised to do all that Dumbledore bade him to ? even kill him?
Snape promised to protect Hogwarts and people against evil ?
Snape promised that he was repentant for his actions as a Death Eater ?

Quote :
Dumbledore had known all year that they had to prepare in case Voldemort succeeded in coming back to life, ever since he first reappeared in Book 1 in fact. Dumbledore is the incarnation of Good in the series, he would therefore plan way in advance when he saw that evil was lurking. I'm sure he made plans with Snape way before Voldemort came back to life because Dumbledore likes to be well prepared, just as with the Philosopher's Stone.

Yes, and this is possibly when the unbreakable vow or promise was made!

Quote :
Dumbledore trusts Snape completely: with his life and those of others, with Order information which he didn't even reveal to Harry until Year 6, with Hogwarts, with the wizarding world, with the Good side, with everything. Dumbledore has put the balance of the whole wizarding world of the British Isles on Snape's shoulders. And you think that was a miscalculation? A foolish decision? To me, it is impossible that Dumbledore could hand the lives of an entire community into Snape's hands unless he had been dead sure he was a good guy. In the Muggle world, you can't do that because there are no ways to really know if someone will betray you. But thanks to magic everything is possible!

There is another point which is essential to make clearer as well: the DADA job. Why did Snape only get it in his last year if evidence that Dumbledore trusted him completely was given?!

the position truly is jinxed and that Dumbledore doesn't want to risk Snape teaching it in case he would also be unable to teach it anymore or die because of the jinx.

There is so much more and all credit goes to whysnape.com

I'll come back with more later
Back to top Go down
Venus
1st Year
1st Year
Venus

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-05
Number of posts : 112
Real First Name : Camilla
Warning :

House : ravenclaw
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyFri Sep 22 2006, 03:46

ooh this is interesting to read. Im not sure whether i believe snape is good or not but these points are very persuasive (is that the word?)
Back to top Go down
Ilyria
5th Year
5th Year
Ilyria

Female
Regist. date : 2006-09-20
Number of posts : 2448
Location : IN MY GINGERBREAD HOUSE NEXT TO AMBY IN THE GAMES FORUM IM ADOPTED BY GINNY AND FATED!!
Real First Name : Lizzie
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw: THE OFFICIAL H.E. GHOST!
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyFri Sep 22 2006, 17:11

I read this over at www.leakylounge.com

Quote :
Snape told Voldemort about the Prophecy, right after it is delivered. This happens in 1980, shortly before the death of the Potters, according to HPL. If this is indeed true (it is based on info from all of the books), Snape would most likely have known if Sirius was working for Voldemort. It is possible that this is not the case, if either one of their identities as a Death Eater was hidden. However, Sirius states that Wormtail is not very popular in Azkaban, as other Death Eaters believe that he sold out to escape Azkaban himself, leading me to believe that most Death Eaters were aware of who was working for Voldemort during his first rise to power.

This means that Snape is intentionally leading a man that he has always known is innocent to the Dementors. Additionally, even though Sirius, Harry, and the others are willing to bring Wormtail to justice, Snape is so insistent on implicating Sirius that he ignores their pleas. Is this because of the old grudge? Or is it because he knew Wormtail was involved with Voldemort all along, and is at this time protecting a fellow Death Eater from being implicated? If this is the case, this section is suggesting very strongly that at least up until this point, Snape has been committed to Voldemort's cause, casting serious doubt on whether he has been faithful to Dumbledore, and later, to the Order of the Phoenix.

Could this be one part that shows that snape is actually evil?
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptySat Sep 23 2006, 07:17

Snape is not evil! Ok I'll jump in with some more that'll back up the side that snape is good.

I think Severus Snape is far, far more Albus Dumbledore's man than Harry Potter could ever hope to be. I believe this because I think that Harry has a tendency to go into his tasks somewhat blindly, and I believe that Snape does it with his eyes wide open.

I have heard that there might have been a prophecy about snape. What could this prophesy have been?

Why was Severus so obsessed with the Dark Arts?

I think it's quite possible that Severus saw his mother being murdered. I think the reason that he threw himself into the Dark Arts (he knew more about the Dark Arts than most seventh years on his arrival at Hogwarts) , was both because he wanted to be able to defend himself, and also because he wanted to avenge his mother's death. no evil intent there at all, just the pain of loss.

When asked when Snape had ever been loved, Jo's reply was "Yes, he has!

In HBP, Trelawney mentions that when she was interviewing for her position, she and Dumbledore were "interrupted by Severus Snape". We've seen Trelawney in a trance – nothing will "interrupt" her. The dark lord only found out the first part of the prophesy, so why didnt snape tell all of it as trelawney would have continued oblivious to snapes enty and therefore snape would have heard it all. Was there someone else there, unnoticed? What about rita skeeta? She had lain unnoticed before.

Now we need to address the Godrics hollow situation. There is so many theories of another person being at Godrics Hollow that night - what if it is true - what if Snape was there and not with Voldermort as thought?

Below find an excerpt from a live journal http://cmwinters.livejournal.com

Quote :
To begin with, all that we know about the happenings at Godric's Hollow on 31 October 1981 (Voldemort went to kill them, James died first, Lily jumped in front of the curse meant for Harry and thus provided some protection for him, Voldemort turned on Harry but the curse rebounded and appeared to have killed Voldemort), is a report you get from an eyewitness.

Now, at Spinner's End, Bellatrix Black Lestrange asks Snape where he was the night the Dark Lord disappeared, so that indicates that Bellatrix was there, and that she has reason to believe Snape was not. Further, Voldemort himself seems to believe this. Voldemort, when he is resurrected, makes mention of three missing Death Eaters, "one, who I believe has left me forever . . ." referring to Snape. We know that it refers to Snape, because at Spinner's End, Snape says to Bellatrix "Yes, the Dark Lord thought I had left him forever, but he was mistaken."

We know that Snape had a life-debt to James. Can anyone figure a better time and way to repay the debt than when the darkest wizard of all time is going to kill the guy, his wife, and his kid? I sure can't.

See, this is what I think happened.
Snape felt the summons, and responded.

He was covered under James' invisibility cloak. (2) Much like Harry was in on top of the Lightning Struck Tower.
He didn't cross into the general meeting, but, like Frank Bryce in GoF, was on the other side of the wall.

Like Peter did in GoF, he whispered the location to Voldemort, and either Snape overheard him, or like Voldemort did in GoF, he repeated what Peter said to him.
OR, they were all masked and cloaked, and Peter wrote it down, like Dumbledore did in OotP, and Snape somehow was able to catch a glimpse of that paper.

Snape Disapparated, and went to Godric's Hollow to argue with the Potters to leave. Because he, like the rest of the world, still thought Sirius was the Secret Keeper, he tried to argue with James that Black had betrayed him. James, knowing that Sirius couldn't have betrayed him even if he'd wanted to , as he was not the Secret Keeper to begin with, didn't leave, thinking that Snape's report was more inaccurate than it was.

Now, Lupin seemed surprised ("'You heard James?' said Lupin in a strange voice") when Harry claimed to have heard James' voice in his Dementor induced flashbacks. I don't know whether this is because James temporarily had laryngitis, or if they had a two-story house and James' body was found outside, or downstairs, or what (3), but Lupin did seem (to me) to be startled by that revelation. Why?

I postulate that it was Snape's voice that he heard. And Harry isn't able to recognise Snape's panicked and hurried, 10 years younger voice, versus SnapeTheDeathEater/ProfessorInAllHisSnarkiness voice.
Now, we know that Peter was at Godric's Hollow. We know this because he gave Voldemort his wand back. I'm fairly certain that when the Aurors arrived, they'd have taken Voldemort's wand if it had been there.

I also think Peter is why Voldemort would have spared Lily. Lily was to be PETER'S prize, NOT Snape's. (This theory is straight out of the HP4GU group on Yahoo.)

But why wouldn't Snape have recognized him then? Well, either Peter didn’t accompany Voldemort into the house, which is entirely probable (and stayed outside, for example), or they were cloaked and masked, which is also entirely probable.

Now, IF there was a paper upon which the address was written, presumably Voldemort was carrying it since Peter knew where it was to begin with. If Voldemort was holding it, then I'm thinking he probably dropped it when he dropped his wand. Given that I think he'd value his wand more, and all.

IF there was a paper, then Snape took it with him when he took Harry to Dumbledore.

This can also fall into the post of the invisability cloak perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Ilyria
5th Year
5th Year
Ilyria

Female
Location : IN MY GINGERBREAD HOUSE NEXT TO AMBY IN THE GAMES FORUM IM ADOPTED BY GINNY AND FATED!!
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Sep 28 2006, 13:21

what i really cant wait to find out is what did snape say or do to make dumbledore trust him so much
Back to top Go down
littleprincess_01
5th Year
5th Year
littleprincess_01

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-09
Number of posts : 5877
Real First Name : Aliza
Warning :

House : Gryffindor
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Oct 19 2006, 11:02

ok...i only read the first article but i think i'm nearly convinced!! maybe when i have time i'll read the others and tell you what i think ^^
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Nov 30 2006, 11:16

Severus Snape

Severus Snape To_add_s

Discuss the Potions master/DaDa Professor here
Back to top Go down
Ilyria
5th Year
5th Year
Ilyria

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Nov 30 2006, 13:54

I hated him then I liked him then I hated him again and now Im really not sure.

I have a theory that he is going to be one of the ones who dies, though I am not completely sure whether he will be redeemed or not. I simply can not make up my mind with him. He is such a complex character and I have read so many different theorys concerning him (a lot on this site even) though each one I read leaves me more and more lost in thought
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 5236
Real First Name : Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
Warning :

House : Gryffindor Girlie
Crest : Severus Snape Gryffi10
Award Bar :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue53 / 70053 / 700Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Nov 30 2006, 14:55

I think he will die too. I hope he redeems himself but I'm not so sure, the last book really got me to oppose him..
Back to top Go down
Ilyria
5th Year
5th Year
Ilyria

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyThu Nov 30 2006, 15:08

I have read a few theories of Elfies here on the site (which reminds me I am surprised she hasnt posted here more as she seems obsessed with snape lol) and the last confrontation between snape and harry seems to come up a lot. Elfie and a lot of people seem to think that there is something there that proves snape is really on the side of good though Im not sure
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyFri Dec 01 2006, 13:51

I don't know, he seemed evil to me though I think some people are in denial. The theorys that are supposed to make him look good just dont make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
xLauren Lupinx
1st Year
1st Year
xLauren Lupinx

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-14
Number of posts : 149
Real First Name : lauren
Warning :

House : hufflepuff
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptySat Dec 02 2006, 05:13

Im not totally sure about Snape but I think that he isnt all evil
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptySat Dec 02 2006, 20:05

What convinced you?
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Number of posts : 6274
Real First Name : Nancy
Warning :

House : Slytherin - Where I have always belonged
Crest : Severus Snape Slythe10
Award Bar :
Severus Snape Left_bar_bleue3 / 7003 / 700Severus Snape Right_bar_bleue

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 06 2006, 06:13

My favorite character of them all. So complex. So mysterious. Is he bad? Is he good?

I for one believe he is good. He could have done away with Harry so many times, but never did. Dumbledore trusted him, and there had to be a reason for it, a huge one!

I love to read about him and I look forward to his part in the last book when the truth will fianlly come out and he will be free to be who he really is.....A HERO!
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 06 2006, 16:59

I dont know. I think he's evil though. Its just me, but he doesnt seem the kind to come back.. I just dont know with him. the question though is will the Order let him back in
Back to top Go down
Dizzy Flower
1st Year
1st Year
Dizzy Flower

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-28
Number of posts : 103
Real First Name : Cathy
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyTue Dec 12 2006, 08:01

If he was pure evil he wouldnt act like he does. I have read so many theories on him, a lot on this site as well (which reminds me - I really should reply to them :D ) though I am still stuck in a rut over Snape.

I dont think he is pure evil though I dont think he is pure good either. I think what makes snape one of the most talked about characters in HP is his extreme complexity. There is more to Snape than meets the eye.
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyTue Dec 12 2006, 14:47

I think everyone knows that. It all depends on how you intereprt the story and the part Snape has in it. If you read it and beleive it you'll think he's evil, but i agree, not pure evil, and if you over analyze it you'll think he's good. It also depends on what you think went on at Spinner's End
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:02

I will start off by saying this - I am not in denial lol

Snape is not evil, he is Dumbledore's man through and through and the half blood prince referances cemented my mind completely
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:05

I completly agree Elfie. There was a reason it all happened!!
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:07

Many many reasons *awaits Jesse argument to us* I dont think anyone can win against us though Nancy lol
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Regist. date : 2006-03-05
Number of posts : 5918
Location : Embraced by the dark side, found only in shadows of my evil mind!
Real First Name : Jesse
Warning :

House : SLYTHERIN
Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:08

Maybe Snape is good-and you can all crucio me later if he is- but I believe that there's a chance he is bad.

Confusion and bitterness- two defined themes that make up this character. I can see how people can come to the assumption that he is 'good' however, the facts are there. HE killed Dumbledore. HE is a Death Eater and HE is trapped in a situation of twisted loyalty.

Then again, he may not truly be loyal to either side at all and more or less on his own side.
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:11

If he was truly on Voldemort's side then why did he not kill Harry in the many chances he got when Harry was at Hogwarts? Voldemort would have rewarded him greatly for doing Harry in.
Voldemort knew in the prophecy that Harry had to die in order for him to live a proper excistance
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty

I love fated's post! It was brilliant! I am truely convinced he killed Dumbledore with out telling him about the unbreakable vow. And you have to admit, he fled, he killed Dumbledore! If he was good, why didnt he just die! It doesnt make sense, wither way he cant be completly good!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Amy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 11746
Real First Name : Amy
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Even if Snape and Dumbledore had a convoluted plot to kill him because Snape is really good and blah blah...Snape is still a bad man!

Look at all the things he's done in the past: picking on Neville because he's not as bright as the other kids, picking on Harry because of who his Father is, generally showing hatred towards Gryffindor because of house prejudices, he was a Death Eater at one point even if he did turn spy for the Order.

There's a difference between being on the good side and being a good person, and I think this is something people forget.
Back to top Go down
http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty

ok, lets first look at the main thing in which many people have turned against Snape for - the death of Dumbledore.

Yes, the fact is there in front of us - Snape did kill Dumbledore but yet throughout the book there are references showing us why he did what he did and I for one do not believe that he did it in cold blood. It is my belief that in one way or another, Dumbledore told him to do it.

One theory is that Snape made an unbreakable vow with dumbledore - remember the argument between them that Hagrid overheard.
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:13

Whats ironic is that Sirius pointed that out when talking to Harry about another person (whose name i cannot remember right now) I think that he's done to much to be welcomed back into the fold as a Order member and i dont think he should be trusted
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:16

And Dumbledore trusted Snape...Why? There had to be a very great and truthful reason for this.
I think that Snape made an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore that he would protect Harry at all costs. He felt guilty about telling Voldemort part of the prophecy and to repent he pledged his allegiance to Dumbledore to protect Harry.

If that is not the reason DD trusts Snape then there is something just as good as that.
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:17

I thought DD trusted Snape bcuz of feeling regret after he sold Lily over to Voldy, (notice how I left out James) didn't he like her in school or somehting? Thats what I though it was.
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:17

Im not totally sure that the unbreakable vow was to protect Harry as such, even though I am in agreement with you that there was an unbreakable vow. I think it may be more to aid Harry in killing Voldermort
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:18

idk, I think the vow was to be a apy and sort of like Kreacher, not tell the plans of the Order
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:19

Why didn't Snape get rid of Harry? That's a good question and I think I have a theory on the answer. Voldemort wanted to be the one to get rid of Harry. He would not want Snape to take that glory from him.

Snape may have made an unbreakable vow with james potter- in the past. Also consider that he saved snape's life and snape OWES james.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 11746
Real First Name : Amy
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:21

Snape didn't get rid of Harry because the prophecy states that only Voldemort can do it. So by not killing/harming Harry Snape was following Voldie's orders like the good little Death Eater he is Severus Snape 436937
Back to top Go down
http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:21

Snape had to be awful to Harry and his friends. If he acted nice to them Draco would see it. Draco is a blabbermouth and would go run and tell Daddy that Snape was nice to Harry.

That would blow Snape's cover as a deatheater. Dumbledore wanted Snape to keep his status with the deatheaters to stay in constant knowledge of Voldemort's plans. If he wasn't awful to Harry, his cover would have blown when Harry was at his 1st year at school. Then Snape would be no good to Dumbledore, because Voldemort would have killed him.

And yes, Snape and Dumbledore made a vow somewhere just before book 6 started. Nothing else makes sense.

Why did Snape not kill Harry after he killed Dumbledore? He didn't because it was all part of He and Dumbledore's plan. Snape was giving Harry advice on how to protect himself. Why would Snape do that for an enemy!!
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:22

affraid Snape is not like kreacher! :D

I think that their argument was about the unbreakable vow and it has to be more than just order work. I think that it certainly had something to do with killing Dumbledore.

Lets take a look at that night on the tower. Many people believe that Dumbledore was pleading for his life. Is Dumbledore the type of person who would plead for his life? No!

Quote :
"Death is just another great adventure" Dumbledore Quote

Dumbledore, in my opinion, was pleading with severus to kill him and keep his vow. Remember that both these wizards are experts in occulmancy/legitimacy as well, showing that not all their communication would have been voiced
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:26

Even if he were begging Snape to kill him, IF Snape were the 'good guy' he wouldn't have. You don't just kill someone cuz they beg for it if you are the good guy. You come up with alternative methods of dealing with the situations.

I believe that Snape killing Dumbledore was partly out of desperation to keep Voldemort off Draco while at the same time force Hogwarts to go on the alert for the upcoming war approaching.
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:30

But if it was for the greater good then Snape would have had no choice, especially if it was between Dumblededore dying or Harry and the rest of the world. Snape respected Dumbledore too much and you can see that Snape is finding it difficult to follow through with the vow
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:33

Amen on Elfie's last post!!
Whhoooo
I am really pumped up now!!

Yes Elfie. Dumbledore would never plead for his life. Not from Snape and not from anyone else either.

So OK, maybe Snape can't kill Harry and it has to be Voldemort. Then why didn't Snape take Harry that night, or any night and deliver him to him?? Snape is an extremly powerful wizard. He was with Harry alone. He could have overpowered him easily...But alas, he did NOT! Because he has no intentions on letting Harry be killed!

Last edited by on Wed Dec 13 2006, 16:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:34

I dont agree! I think it was becasue Voldy gave him orders not to kill him, as you have heard the DE's say many times 'he is the Dark Lord's'
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:36

Snape wasn't doing it for the greater good cuz he had planned to get rid of Dumbledore all along. He planned to do it to strengthen Voldemort's side and signal the start of the Wizard war. Snape might have respected Dumbledore to a point but his crave of power, or being more powerful took over that genuine feeling.

Snape killed Dumbledore as a sign of showing not only his loyalty to the Dark Lord but to intimidate everyone who opposed him.
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:38

I think that is something a lot of people overlook. I dont think they see how powerful he is and dismiss him as evil and nothing else. It isnt until you really look deep into his character that you are able to see how not evil he is. Yes, he has made mistakes, havent we all?

Snape, in my opinion, is probably the most complex character in the whole of the HP series and it is understandable that many people dont know which side of the fence to stand with him, yet I think that breaking down large portions of each book, especially HBP people will soon come to realise that the facts are there, they just need to be open minded

(am I ranting now ? lol)

I do think that Snape was given orders by Voldemort not to kill Harry, but it is through his loyalty to Dumbledore that he doesnt, plus he is not a cold hearted killer

Last edited by on Wed Dec 13 2006, 16:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:39

But why did he not deliver Harry to Voldemort that night?? Harry was upset and the dark lord could have killed him easily.

It's because Snape does not want Harry dead. Snape wants Voldemort to die so everyone can live again
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:41

Fated4HP wrote:
Snape wasn't doing it for the greater good cuz he had planned to get rid of Dumbledore all along. He planned to do it to strengthen Voldemort's side and signal the start of the Wizard war.

Where are the facts of this planning though? There are more facts and referances to Dumbledore and Snapes allience than to Snapes and Voldemorts.
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:47

I think with HBP when the bit with Snape killing Voldemort happened, the true Snape came out. He was suspicious from the start, and his persona has always been nothing to applaud. How he has given Harry a hard time over the years, and no one noticed that he despises Harry for being Jame's son? Snape's got underlying issues that go waaaaaaaay back to the time when James and the Marauders used to tease him and pick on him. That has dwelled in him for a long time. Then the rise of the Dark Lord, the Death Eaters and a place for Snape to feel he belonged. Who would want to be on the side of your 'school enemies' the ones who taunt and hurt you all the time when you could be on the opposing side, and rise to power under the rule of a great, powerful leader.

Once again this deals with the theme of bitterness- Bitterness that Snape holds on to and it is why that 1. he not only agreed to be a Death Eater but a spy for voldemort as well 2. He wants nothing to do with Harry other than make him miserable and suffer just like he did when Harry's father went to the school.

This man has been through heck and over the years he's let alll the anger and bitterness dwell in him and he's finally let it out by killing Dumbledore.

(sorry if I took this in another direction, I get passionate in debates :D )
Back to top Go down
Elfie Dumbledore
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 16:53

Firstly I think you meant Snape killing Dumbledore not voldermort lol

You speak of his persona. If someone dislikes someone or many other people does this make them evil and able to kill in cold blood? No! No one on this earth, real or fantasy, can like everyone but not everyone are murderers. Yes, he does have underlying issues with James which have passed down to Harry, though this again does not make him evil. He maybe just needs to see a councellor :D Yes, bitterness is an ugly thing to harbour, but we all have it somewhere, even if it is hidden deep down in us

When Snape joined the Deatheaters he was still young, he did not fully realise what he was doing, rather like Draco. Yes, he was old enough to make choices, but doesnt everyone make mistakes, and he has repented from that, joined the order and has put his life on the line becoming a spy for the order.
Back to top Go down
Fated4HP
5th Year
5th Year
Fated4HP

Male
Warning :

Award Bar :

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape EmptyWed Dec 13 2006, 17:05

(heh yeah i got my thoughts crossed :D )

Yes, but bitterness CAN lead to one being evil and that's what happened in Snape's case. He's powerful, bitter, hates Harry and wants to stay in good favor of the Dark Lord.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Severus Snape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severus Snape   Severus Snape Empty

Back to top Go down

Severus Snape
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next