Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
Astronomer of the Week #1 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSAstronomer of the Week #1 Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Astronomer of the Week #1

Go down 
+3
dragonweaver
KatieBellaTrix
Raistlin The Wizard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Raistlin The Wizard
Headmaster : Slytherin Head of House: Astronomy Professor : 1st Year : Master of All
Headmaster : Slytherin Head of House: Astronomy Professor : 1st Year : Master of All
Raistlin The Wizard

Male
Regist. date : 2006-07-26
Number of posts : 11497
Real First Name : Lost in the mists of time...
Warning :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue3 / 33 / 3Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

House : Slytherin!
Crest : Astronomer of the Week #1 Slythe10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue700 / 700700 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

Astronomer of the Week #1 Empty
PostSubject: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 11:12

Welcome to the Astronomer of the week which I hope to be a successful class so I can repeat it with other astronomers.
The first Astronomer to make or class is Isaac Newton!
----------------------

Part 1

Give me a short biography of Isaac Newton focusing most on his influence in Astronomy, 250 words minimum!

90 Points

Part 2

I want you to imagine that Isaac Newton was a wizard and write an episode of his life as a wizard, how would magic help him? You can even attribute to magic one of his discoveries or achievements. (350 words minimum!)

150 points

Bonus

Post a picture of Isaac.

10 points
-------------------

Remember to site your sources (websites used) and no copying and pasting!

Last edited by Raistlin The Wizard on Sat Jan 14 2012, 14:55; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 5236
Real First Name : Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
Warning :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

House : Gryffindor Girlie
Crest : Astronomer of the Week #1 Gryffi10
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue53 / 70053 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 11:37

Astronomer of the Week
Sir Isaac Newton

KatieBellaTrix

Part One: Biography

Sir Isaac Newton was a brilliant man who made many contributions to astronomy among other scientific subjects including alchemy. One of his greatist contributions was to his theory of universal gravitation which states that:

Quote :
Every single point mass attracts every other point mass by a force pointing along the line combining the two. The force is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point masses

That is all very confusing for me, so I decided to concentrate more on his affect on the scientific community. Along with universal gravitation he published the 3 laws of motion which helped scientists form there ideas about the physical universe. This is now the basis for modern enginerring, and classical mechanics which is used for describing the movement of macroscopic objects. In addition Newtons research helped propel the scientific revolution.

Isaac Newton was born January 4th, 1643 according to the modern calender but his birthdate was marked offically as December 25th, 1642. He was born premeturly and 3 months after his father also named Isaac died. WHen he was three his mother remarried and he was sent to live with his grandmother. He had ill-feelings toward his mother and step-father.

He is best known as the genius who explained gravity... and interestingly enough he was born the same year Gallelaio died. Newton's works include Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica (1687) and Opticks (1704
).

Part Two: Magical History.

I think that it is fairly obvious that Isaac Newton was a wizard in his day. If you look again at why he was sent away to live with his grandmother, you can start to doubt wether it was becasue his mother got remarried or becasue he had started to display magic which scared his mother and step-father. Here we can start to question whether his grandmother was magic or not either. In a list of sins he committed up until the age of 19 it says he threatened to burn down his parents house and i am inclined to think that he did indeed burn down the house and that obliviators came to the seen to straiten the whole thing out.

Wether or not Newton went to Hogwarts is a mystery. I am of the opinion that he should of gone there considering he was born in England. However, there are records of him attending muggle schools. Wether or not this is a lie used by th emuggle schools for publicity and fame is anyone's guess, but I think that Newton would learned and gaine da lot from attending Hogwarts and therefore doubt the truthfulness of the muggle accounts. Other Muggle records say that when his mother was widowed for the second time she tried to make a farmer of him. I think she did this both to take advantage of his magical ability and to keep him from going back to Hogwarts. However in the end he did indeed leave his mother.

Magic would have greatly helped Newton and his sucess. Nobody but a wizard could have successfully explained gravity to muggles, since us wizards have been defying it for so long. I do not say that this was an easy feat though, becasue we all know how ignorant muggles can be.

Bonus: Picturehttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Isaac_Newton.jpeg/200px-

Last edited by on Sun Sep 02 2007, 07:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dragonweaver
2nd Year
2nd Year
dragonweaver

Female
Regist. date : 2007-06-22
Number of posts : 2895
Real First Name : Ingrid
Warning :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

House : Hufflepuff
Wand : Ash and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue7 / 7007 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 13:37

Part 1
Sir Isaac Newton was an English mathematician and natural philosopher who lived from 1642 to 1727. Newton studied at Cambridge College and was professor there from 1669 to 1701 and taught math. His most important discoveries were discovered during the two years that the university was closed. Probably the most important discovery he ever had that impacted the past and the future was gravitation. Most people heard the story of him sitting under an apple tree and an apple fell on his head. True or not, the idea of gravity gave him the theory of to first to fully recognize that the force holding any object to the earth is the same as the force holding the moon, the planets, and other bodies in their orbits. With that discovery, other scientists like Henry Cavendish discovered the value of gravity (G). Other discoveries he made was to being developing calculus, discovering white light is made of all the colors of the spectrum and the construction (in 1668) of a reflecting telescope which relates to Astronomy. Another famous discovery was the laws of motion that made him realize that the earth is in motion with respect to the sun and the center of the galaxy.

Part 2
Isaac Newton sat under the tree waiting for his letter to be delivered. Suddenly he saw his owl, Archimedes, swoop down and drop the letter on him. Frowning thoughtfully, Newton looked at the space that the letter had dropped. As if struck by a thought, he rose and ran into the house. He quickly scanned to room and spotted the hovering pan on the fire. Holding up his wand, he canceled the levitation spell, causing the pan to drop down onto the fire. Taking out a worn piece of parchment he quickly recorded the event and hurried out the room. Grabbing his now irritated owl Isaac put him on a tree branch and told Archimedes to jump off without flapping his wings. The owl looked at the mathematician as if he was crazy but did just that and dropped to the ground like a stone and landed on the cushioning charm that Isaac had thoughtfully remember to cast for him. Isaac Newton was now smiling widely and was scribbling furiously on his parchment. He quickly rose to his feet and ran across his lawn and with a shout he flooed to his fellow scientist’s house. Arriving at his destination Isaac tripped over the chair leg in his excitement. Shaking his head and laughing, his friend Frank Physicus helped him up, “Slow down Isaac, why are you in such a hurry?” Isaac staggered to his feet and started rambling, “Today when you sent me that letter, I figured it was because of it, so I tried with my pan and Archimedes.” Look amused at his friend’s antics, Frank gave Isaac a cup of tea and asked him what was going on. “Well, when your letter dropped on me I thought there must be a force that must be acting on falling objects like apples because otherwise they would not start moving or dropping. So then I canceled the levitation charm on my pan and that dropped too so I figured that if things are not being held up by charms, or in Archimedes case, his wings, then the objects will fall by a force with I named gravity.”

Bonus

Picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/GodfreyKneller-IsaacNewton-1689.jpg

Sources
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/Newton-S
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/gravitat;_ylt=AsHubkffcCw0M.84PKarBcxTt8wF
http://www.stanford.edu/~buzzt/gravity.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~veliakaida
Kendra_McKie
1st Year
1st Year
Kendra_McKie

Female
Regist. date : 2007-07-12
Number of posts : 377
Real First Name : Kat
Warning :

Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptySat Sep 01 2007, 20:22

Part 1

Born the 4th of January, 1643, Sir Isaac Newton was known for his work as an English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, and alchemist. As a physicist, he promoted three laws of motion which he used to provide reasoning for the movement of planets. In 1679, he continued his mechanical muses in direct relation to the theory of gravity's effects on orbiting planets. In order to prove their revolution, he drew a direct parallel with Kepler's laws of planetary motion as well as his own theory of the existence of a gravitation force. He also consulted Hooke and Flamsteed with his ideas. Once having conclusive evidence, he published his theories in De Motu Corporum, which held the basis and foundation for motional physics and provided basis for The Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica (now known as the Principia), published on the 5th of July, 1687. His three laws of universal motion, which stood the test of time for over 200 years, included the idea of gravity, derived from the latin word for weight, gravitus. Basing ideals on Boyle's law, he came up with analytical determination of the speed of sound in air. His work in the Principia brough him to international fame and symbolism in the science community. Many admired him and worked closely with him to advance and forward science even more.

Part 2

It was just another bright and sunshiney day in Sir Isaac Newton's alchemy lair when he decided it was time to invent a potion of his own. He didn't really know what effect he wanted it to have, as long as it actually had an effect. First, he decided, he would have to find ingredients no man had ever attempted to use before. What better place to find new ingredients than the Forbidden Forest of Hogwarts, he thought. So surely enough, he took the train to Hogsmeade and trekked up to Hogwarts to begin his journey through the thickets of the forest.

Upon his entrance, he made a couple turns to find a strange and mysterious plant that, according to his field guide, looked like an asphodel. He pulled up the roots and placed them gently in his sack. He then meandered through to come across a another plant. He decided to taste the leaf, only to find it bitter. He consulted his field guide, and sure enough, he had found wormwood. At this point, he had his afterlife-like ingredient and his bitter ingredient, but he didn't want to make a killing potion! He then realized he should make a potion to cause someone to fall into a very deep sleep. He decided to use some of the sopohorous bean of his own stock and pick up some valerian roots in the Hogsmeade village. He had everything he needed to create his potion.

But who to test it on? Isaac wondered. He of course had the perfect solution. He really wanted to visit the New World in order to inspect it for plants and items of alchemic interest. He would explain to the king that he had potions of great medicinal importance he wanted to test on injured American settlers. The king agreed, figuring it best to get rid of someone with alchemy on the mind, and allowed Isaac to visit America. Maybe he’d find someone in need of a deep rest, and he could find plants to make new potions and discoveries.

Carrying the Draught of Living Death in his pocket as he wandered through an American forest high in the mountains, a rather strange man, who introduced himself as Rip Van Winkle, wandered into his campsite. Sir Isaac, being the gentleman he was, invited the man to have a rest and enjoy some of the food and drink he and his research team had brought. The man was very grateful, but the liquor soon made him talk of the wife who did not love him and how very distressed it made him feel. He just felt so angry, ALL the time. Isaac then had the perfect solution – literally. He slipped some of the Draught of Living Death into the strange man’s drink, and immediately the potion took effect. Van Winkle fell into a very deep sleep, and Isaac gleamed as he saw Van Winkle’s smiling, peaceful face. He left Van Winkle covered under the warm leaves and earth as a natural blanket and knew one day the man would awake with his troubles long gone.

Bonus

Astronomer of the Week #1 250px-GodfreyKneller-IsaacNewton-1689

Works Cited
"Encyclopedia of Potions." HPL: Encyclopedia of Potions: L. 12 Aug. 2007. 1 Sept. 2007 <http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/potions/potions-l.html#living_death_draught_of>.

"Isaac Newton." Isaac Newton - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 1 Sept. 2007. 1 Sept. 2007 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton>.

"Rip Van Winkle." Rip Van Winkle - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 31 Aug. 2007. 1 Sept. 2007 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle>.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nekochan52
stephy
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
stephy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-06-03
Number of posts : 30328
Real First Name : Stephanie, Polly calls me Stephums, Kim calls me Steffie and among others Im either mommy or granny
Warning :

House : ravenclaw
Crest : Astronomer of the Week #1 Ravenc10
Wand : Walnut & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue85 / 70085 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyFri Sep 14 2007, 21:26

Part 1

Give me a short biography of Isaac Newton focusing most on his influence in Astronomy, 200 words minimum!

Newton was the one that most people know who had come up with the three laws of motion and his theory of gravitation. Many remember this because we all have to learn it in school and also about the story about how he got hit on the head with an apple. He was a brilliant man who was able to answer many questions that we had. Newton was born on January 4, 1643 in the country Lincolnshire. Newtons father died when he was young and at the age of three his mother married Barnabus Smith whom Newton did not like. At the age of ninteen Newton became engaged with Anne Storer but Newton was too much into school and Anne left Newton and married another man before they got married. Newton’s mother had tried to take him out of school but she was pursuded otherwise and Newton was able to go to college. Then once he got out of school he became even more interested in science and was able to come up with many theorys and equations that we still use even today. Along with these thoerys he also invented many things. One thing was the reflecting telescope which dispered light into colors.

Part 2

I want you to imagine that Isaac Newton was a wizard and write an episode of his life as a wizard, how would magic help him? You can even attribute to magic one of his discoveries or achievements. (300 words minimum!)

Newton left his house and walked out to the end of his driveway. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a stick and held it high in the air. As soon as the wand was above his head there was a loud ‘BANG’ and a purple double Decker bus appeared out of what seemed nowhere. The appearance of a purple bus appearing out of nowhere didn’t seem to faze him at all, instead he entered the bus and paid the conductor some weird looking coins he had ion his pocket.

“Where to?” the driver asked him.

“Diagon Alley” Newton answered as he found a seat at the back of the bus.

Newton sat back in his chair and he looked out the window, watching houses and light posts jump out of the way of the bus. Looking up he saw a boy with blonde hair in front of him holding what seemed to be a newspaper.

“Are you the man in the paper. The one who invented the potion that cures werewolf’s so that they no longer change at the full moon.” He boy asked Newton.

“Yes I did invent that. Why is there another article of me in the Daily Prophet? I told them to stop writing about me.” Newton said as he took the paper from the boy’s hand. Sure enough as he looked at the paper he was himself beaming up at him and the boy.

“I thought it was you. You have came up with so many theories that explain so much we didn’t know about magic” The boy breathed. “Can you sign my newspaper?” he asked.

“Sure” Newton replied as he pulled out his wand and caused a quill to appear out of thin air. He then quickly signed his name on the paper and handed it back to the boy. Then the bus gave a sudden stop and the chairs on the bus all slide a foot forward.

“Diagon Alley” The driver shouted out.

“Well I must be goin my dear lad” Newton said as he left the bus.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/oddie_faneenala
PrincessPotter
1st Year
1st Year
PrincessPotter

Female
Regist. date : 2007-06-22
Number of posts : 290
Real First Name : Elle :)
Warning :

House : Proud Ravenclaw :)
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyFri Dec 14 2007, 09:48

Part 1
Give me a short biography of Isaac Newton focusing most on his influence in Astronomy, 200 words minimum!

Sir Isaac Newton was born on January 4, 1643 at Woolsthorpe Manor in Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth, a hamlet in the county of Lincolnshire. He was born three months after the death of his father. Newton is believed by some researchers to have suffered from Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. He was an English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, and alchemist. His book Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica, published in 1687, described universal gravitation and the three laws of motion. Famous for discovering the laws of Gravity. History says that he discoeverd gravity thanks to an apple in a tree. In mathematics he developed what we know as "Calculus." He provided great things to the fields of Optics, Mathematics, Mechanics and Gravitation and many more. In the 1690s Newton wrote a number of religious tracts dealing with the literal interpretation of the Bible. Newton died in London on March 31, 1727 and was buried in Westminster Abbey. After his death, Newton's body was discovered to have had massive amounts of mercury in it, probably resulting from his alchemical pursuits. Mercury poisoning could explain Newton's eccentricity in late life. He was and still is one of the greatest astronomers in history. Many of his discoveries are pretty useful to people nowadays. Astronomer of the Week #1 436937

Part 2
I want you to imagine that Isaac Newton was a wizard and write an episode of his life as a wizard, how would magic help him? You can even attribute to magic one of his discoveries or achievements. (300 words minimum!)

Sitting on his desk Sir Isaac Newton kept writing and writing formulas. "If I could understand how this works," he told himself. After the incident that afternoon he knew he had discovered something.

He was sitting near the Whomping Willow just looking at the Hogwarts grounds when an apple fell down. "Why didn't it stay up?" he thought to himself. Immediately he got up and went back to his dormitory.

Sitting in his dormitory he kept thinking and thinking. He was so concetrated in his work that he didn't even go down to dinner. "Everything that goes up must come down," he kept repeating to himself. Suddenly, and idea came to him.

He got up and went to look for his Remembrall. He started practicing simple exercises with his wand. "Wingardium Leviosa!" he said. Up went the Remembrall, floating in the air. He realized evrytime he broke the spell the Remembrall would fall down. "Why didn't it stay up?" he questioned himself.

He tried going to different places all over the school grounds. He went to the Great Hall, Hagrid's Hut, The Whomping Willow, some of his classrooms, even the Astronomy Tower which was so high. In every single place he tried he got the same effect.

He quickly learned that no matter where you where, the effect would always be the same. After studying he found out even in outer space and in other galaxies it would always be the same. After many hours of thinking and analyzing it finally came to him.
Quote :
"In that slight startle from his contemplation —
'Tis said (for I'll not answer above ground
For any sage's creed or calculation) —
A mode of proving that the earth turn'd round
In a most natural whirl, called "gravitation;"
And this is the sole mortal who could grapple,
Since Adam, with a fall or with an apple."
He thought to himself. And that is what he decided to call "Gravity."

Bonus
Post a picture of Isaac.

Astronomer of the Week #1 6tvf7fs
Back to top Go down
Raistlin The Wizard
Raistlin The Wizard

Male
Regist. date : 2006-07-26
Number of posts : 11497
Real First Name : Lost in the mists of time...
Warning :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue3 / 33 / 3Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

House : Slytherin!
Crest : Astronomer of the Week #1 Slythe10
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue700 / 700700 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptyMon Dec 31 2007, 12:18

Well done everyone here are your marks:

Gryffindor

KatieBellaTrix - 38 Astronomer of the Week #1 Smilie12

Hufflepuff

dragonweaver - 40 + 5 = 45 Astronomer of the Week #1 Smilie12
Kendra_McKie - 35 Astronomer of the Week #1 Smilie13

Ravenclaw

stephy - 30 Astronomer of the Week #1 Smilie14
PrincessPotter - 33 Astronomer of the Week #1 Smilie13

Some people lost points for not having posted their sources.

Please remember that with the new classes rules
you may keep doing classes after they're marked as they are now always
open, so I'll keep waiting for your works.
Back to top Go down
amortentia773
Hufflepuff Head of House : CoMC & Mythology Professor : 5th Year
Hufflepuff Head of House : CoMC & Mythology Professor : 5th Year
amortentia773

Female
Regist. date : 2010-07-29
Number of posts : 17484
Real First Name : Katie
Warning :

Crest : Astronomer of the Week #1 Huffle10
Wand : Cherry & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Astronomer of the Week #1 Left_bar_bleue260 / 700260 / 700Astronomer of the Week #1 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 EmptySun Mar 05 2017, 21:15

Back to top Go down
http://lostamongfantasy.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astronomer of the Week #1   Astronomer of the Week #1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Astronomer of the Week #1
Page 1 of 1