Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSGEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World

Go down 
+2
Herbaceoustraitorous
Elfie Dumbledore
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Elfie Dumbledore
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-21
Number of posts : 15397
Real First Name : Sharon
Warning :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue1 / 31 / 3GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

House : I didn't retire...I surrendered!
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Hogwar10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Empty
PostSubject: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptyWed Oct 10 2007, 13:59

It is time to take a trip around the world for your geography class.
Select 10 countries in which you will travel to and find a photograph
online from each country you 'visit'.

Post each photo in the
order in which you visit (thumbnails for big images) with two
paragraphs under each one as if writing in a diary. Write what you saw,
where the photo is, and what you experienced when taking each photo.

Extra Credit: Choose 2 of the places you have 'visited' from above and select a couple of photos more for each and describe what they show including historical means.

Possible Points: 300
Extra Credit: 250

Back to top Go down
http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com
Herbaceoustraitorous
2nd Year
2nd Year
Herbaceoustraitorous

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 2228
Real First Name : Christina
Warning :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

House : Ravenclaw
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Ravenc10
Wand : Chestnut and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue40 / 70040 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptySat Oct 13 2007, 18:24

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Alaskacopy

Alaska
People go to Alaska for six reasons: Wilderness, Wildlife, Glaciers, Mountains, History & Culture. I did a seven night Alaska Boat Cruise. This cruise gave me the taste of Alaska and a chance to see huge glaciers and tons of marine wildlife. I got to experience the wilderness, mountains, and land wildlife aspects of Alaska.

This Cruise Tour gave me the best of both worlds, combining a 3-day or 7-day relaxing and luxurious cruise vacation along the Alaska coast with a 3- to 12-day adventurous land tour giving you the opportunity to explore the interior of Alaska including Denali National Park and Mt. McKinley. The picture above is a small village we passed on the way back home.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Bahamascopy

Bahamas
The laid back atmosphere of the islands of The Bahamas make them the most perfect ports to relax and unwind. The sun drenched shores of Nassau and Freeport feature sophisticated shopping, sizzling nightlife, delicious Caribbean cuisine and much more. And, the pristine white sand, turquoise waters, gentle surf and exotic marine life provide a paradise for any beach aficionado. With world-class fishing, historical forts, Victorian mansions, museums, vibrant bazaars and colorful Caribbean houses -- there's always plenty to see and do.

The picture above was taken on day 3, when I saw this little girl playing on the beach. I thought it was absolutly the cutest thing I have ever seen, and so I took her picture. Isnt the scenery beautiful?

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Brazilcopy

Brazil
Next I did the Brazil cruise from Rio Solimoes to Careira and then started from River Araca. Here you I rented a motorized canoe and rode down the Araca into the deep Amazon jungle. During the Brazil cruise, I came across a river house. A river house is usually two houses tied together, built on a raft. During rainy season when the water rises 20-30 feet, the house remains always on the surface of the water.

Above is a picture I took during a hiking trip. Me and some teammates were on a huge mountain looking down into the deep waters below. Such a beautiful place. I will surely go back again.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Canadacopy

Canada
There was no way that I was going to miss a trip back to my country. When I returned to my ship in the evening, I got to watch the sun slip below the ocean’s surface. It was amazing to be among the first in North America to see another day end.

If you’ve ever wondered what true tranquility is, then you will know what I mean when I say that I find it here. From the majestic fjords of Gros Morne National Park to following in the footsteps of Captain James Cook, the joys of western Newfoundland will beacon you! Also this picture was taken when I got to watch some people white water rafting.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Egyptcopy

Egypt
At the Ancient temples, pyramids and statues my mind wonder about the ancient state of Egypt in North Africa. Indeed, the ancient tombs of pharaohs are some of the most popular tourist attractions in the world. And I got to see them for myself, how the beauty and marvel shines though.From the Great Pyramids of Cairo to the Valley of the Kings in Luxor, there are plenty of archaeological masterpieces that helped satisfy my curiosity.

I actually got to ride on a camel, which I must admit maybe a good form of transportation but is horrible to ride. Surely they must find another form of transportation as my butt needs a nice pillow and few aspirin.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Germanycopy

Germany
Home to beer gardens and cafes, carnivals and festivals, Germany is home to some of the most fun-loving people in Europe. Tourists can explore the art museums of Berlin, the Ludwig castles of Fussen, or the marionette theaters in Lubeck. Farming communities welcome visitors from across Europe during the summer months, and blooming fruit trees offer an appealing alternative for those who travel in the spring and fall.

I got to be part of this glorious road trip down near the farm land. I was able to glance at the scenery and even snap a few photos. The people here were absolutely great and very kind. I would go again, hopefully next year.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Japan

Japan
Known as the Land of the Rising Sun, Japan has a unique mix between the empires of the past and the technologically advanced society today. I got to see one street that had a kabuki theatre and saw the huge high tech company buildings around the main cites.During the last day of my stay I got to witness a yearly festivals, from the Gion Matsuri purity celebration to the Golden Week of enlightenment.

The picture above is one of Japans prized possession, the Cherry Blossom. I absolutely love this tree and the colours being my eyes to a beautiful place. Surely there isnt another tree greater then this.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Mexico

Mexico
Mexico was truly amazing. It is one of top destinations for travelers worldwide. Mexico also is a country of diverse beauty, culture and history. It has been famous for its warm waters and sandy beaches. When I arrived at Mexico I was able to see the modern cities, and the historical archeological sites. Later on I got to see the beautiful national parks.

This picture above was located at one of those National Parks that I got to see. At the top you are able to see the beautiful water scene and the wonderful forest below.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World NewZealand

New Zealand
This island nation, while small in size, fulfilled my senses with a tropical delight. The temperate climate, rolling hills, miles of beaches and massive mountains allow me to have dozens of possible activities to do. The local food and drink here provided me a slice of island life.

During one of hikes I came along this water pond that totally caught my eye. Its marvellous to see how the land has formed perfectly around it. Pure tranquillity in a picture.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Russia

Russia
Known for its powdery snow, colorful architecture and dreamy landscapes. I got to see most of it within Russia. It truly is a winter getaway for anyone worldwide. I took a trip on the Trans-Siberian Express and experience a unique experience and got plenty of sights to see across northern Russia and into several other countries.

As you can see in the photo above, I decided for my last trip that I would take a flying kind of cruise. Something a bit different then all the rest. It was absolutely beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Elana
5th Year
5th Year
Elana

Female
Regist. date : 2006-04-16
Number of posts : 7562
Real First Name : Elana
Warning :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

House : RAVENCLAW!
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Ravenc10
Wand : Willow and Unicorn Tail Hair
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue93 / 70093 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptyTue Nov 06 2007, 20:55

FINISHING SOON

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Petersburg

привет! That's "hello" in Russian, by the way. It's my first day on my trip 'round the world, and I'm here in St. Petersburg, Russia- couldn't be more excited to begin my travels! Being here, even though all I've been able to see is the view from my hotel room (a gorgeous view, of course. The picture is out of my window- I can see all down the river -they don't have views like that back at home.), is wonderful. And I know it'll only get better, for St. Petersburg is the City of the Tsars, after all. Being of Russian decent, it's going to be amazing, exploring this city.

Later today I'll be going to the Palace Square. It's architecture is said to be b-e-a-utiful!, I'll make sure to send you more pictures! It's a main tourist attraction, but at this time of year it hopefully won't be too crowded. After that, I'll explore the State Hermitage, the largest art/culture museum there! Seeing that I adore art, I'm really looking forward to that. Later, I'll just muck around town, taking in the sights. And then...off to Norway!

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Bryggen

If there was ever a time I wished I was a blonde haired, blue eyed beauty...

Well, if being 50% Norwegian didn't get me that, then they should be able to accept that here.

Anyway, it's a beautiful warf, Bryggen. I've been here for two days now, and still haven't been able to see enough- though I have seen a ton. The first day I was here, I walked around town, watching the various craftsmen (and women) work. Painters, weavers, wood carvers, you name it! They're fascinating, and so friendly- didn't mind my questions at all! Seeing Norway is...really not describable. For years I've heard about it from my grandma (whose parents immigrated here from there) who has gone to visit multiple times, and I didn't know when I would get the chance to come here. And boy, am I glad I did!

The historical (medieval, to be more specific) quality of this town is astounding. Like I mentioned above, there are still many artisans around, a rare sight these days. And the architecture- I love it! Seems like I can't get enough of it this trip. Ooh, I forgot to mention my boat ride! This being a warf, it was easy enough to find someone willing to lug an extra tourist along the coast. Seeing Bryggen from the water made me appreciate it even more...Adjø for nå (Goodbye for now)! I'll write more in...LONDON!!!

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World London

Of all of the places that I'll be during this trip, I've been most excited for this one. LONDON. LONDON LONDON LONDON. To get a birds eye view of the city (you know by now how much I love views of the cities), I decided to go on the Eye. I tell ya, it's a good thing I've gotten over my fear of heights. Well...mostly. That was where I picked my destinations for the day- St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London, and Big Ben.

The famous cathedral was NOT disappointing. Standing in the center, gazing up at the ceiling...it was mind boggling. The beauty of the paintings that were, well, everywhere, kept my eyes busy for quite a long time. After I made myself leave, I had to see the Tower of London. I've read about the queens locked up there (and the books were very well written, mind you), so, of course, I needed to see it for myself. Then, I headed over to see Big Ben- right as it struck four. Perfect timing, if I may say so. Hearing the chimes was fantastic, but it left the ringing in my ears for a time. Let's see...next stop- Paris!

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Paris

While here in France, how could I not stop by the Eiffel Tower? And, if I'm already there, how could I not go up? Europe seems to be all about getting a view of the city from above- and I love it! The stairs were quite a climb, but it was worth it. Looking up, all I could see was the clear blue of the sky, and, of course, the tip of the Tower. And around, the waterways, the mass of surrounding buildings...it just went on and on!

That was earlier today- after that I rented a bike, and toured around the city on it! It gave me a whole new perspective of Paris, and a great one at that. Once I got out of the main streets, it was almost...relaxing? The cool autumn air coupled with the sun, and beauty of the city- how could I want for anything more? Then I had a light dinner, and am heading out tonight to see a show. Comment j'aime cette ville (How I love this city)! Too bad I'm leaving so soon- but Madrid shouldn't be disappointing.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Madridpalaceyard

Yo estoy en Madrid- te quiero este ciudad (I'm in Madrid- I love this city)! Taking Spanish has helped already, even though I've only been here for a few hours. When I checked into my hotel, I needed to use some of the vocab that I learned in class...and though I am nowhere near fluent, I was (luckily) able to get my point across. The hotel is only a three minute walk to the Plaza de Sol, so I've already been there, and kept walking after that.

I went to the Palacio Real, which was striking! It's enormous, and when I say enormous, I mean ENORMOUS- as in, when I tried to see the top my neck ended up hurting because of how far I had to tilt back. I had my lunch under one of the trees dotting the edges, and just relaxed watching the world go by. Now I'm back at the hotel, resting my aching feet. Maybe tomorrow I'll catch a bus or grab a bike- something that doesn't involve so much walking.

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Venice

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Telaviv

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Hobbiton

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Bali

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Canada

Last edited by on Thu Nov 08 2007, 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://theunlockedcloset.moonfruit.com/
streams of silver
5th Year
5th Year
streams of silver

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 6449
Real First Name : What is real?
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff, of course. I thought it was obvious...
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Huffle10
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue15 / 70015 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptyWed Nov 07 2007, 22:49

TO BE CONTINUED...

1. Bandera, Texas -- The Mayan Dude Ranch.
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Horse_drinking_at_pond

June 15

Well, it's the second day of my trip around the world, and here I am in good old Texas! The local radio stations are all playing country music--how fantastic is that? But anyway, I haven't even had that much time to listen to the radio, except in the evening when we're all just trying to relax our muscles that are sore from riding all day. Oh, and I get to wear my cowboy boots and hat all day long, and nobody thinks I'm odd! I love this place!

It's so wonderful to be around horses and cowboys all day long. If I win the lottery, I'll buy a ranch. No doubt about it. Meanwhile, I'll just have to keep visiting. The horse in the picture is Sammy. He's such a sweetheart. I took this pic in the morning before we headed out on the trail, and Sammy was taking a long drink before it was his turn to be saddled up for a day's riding.

2. Cancun, Mexico
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Mexico10

June 22

When I saw the white sand and gorgeous, clear sea I just had to drop everything I was carrying and go running towards it, waving my arms and cheering. I dropped into the water with a huge splash, and when I looked up, blinking the water out of my eyes, a total hottie was glaring at me. Tan skin, dark brown hair, deep brown eyes, and he did NOT look happy. After some interrogation in Spanish (by him) and squeaky muttering (by me--I don't know that much Spanish) he understood that I had not in fact seen someone drowning and I was not in fact having a seizure.

Turns out he was some sort of lifeguard. How was I to know I wasn't allowed to shriek on the beach? Anyway, when I apologized and offered to buy him a drink, he cheered up considerably. His broken English was so adorable, and let's face it, I've never been able to resist anyone with an accent. As soon as he was off duty he showed me the best swimming spots on the beach...

3. Big Island, Hawaii (Pololu Valley and Black Beach)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Pololu10 GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Pololu11

June 28

Hawaii! U.S.A.'s paradise! Still can't believe I'm here. When I look out at the view, I feel like I've been dumped smack into the middle of a glossy postcard...it's so gorgeous. What the postcards do NOT tell you is that this place is swarming with flies, mosquitoes, and various other buzzing, annoying creatures. And most of them bite. >.< Today I made sure to load up with bug spray, so I wasn't bothered so much with trying to swat the mosquitoes before they feasted on me, and was able to enjoy the trail.

I feel like I can almost touch the sky if I just stretch a bit more...and the whole valley has a dreamy, ethereal feel. Of course, I had to hike to reach the 'black beach' -- no roads here! And I was just slightly regretting being lazy in Cancun, because all those muscles I had so nicely developed in Texas had to be worked out all over again. It was fascinating, and I was glad I had braved the hike down. Dark sand, bordering an angry beach...the perfect setting for a horror novel or something similar. I was strangely riveted and just stood there for a while, soaking in the sound of rushing, pounding waves and worriedly eying the people who had been foolish enough to risk the killer currents.

4.Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Tijuca Forest)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 300px-FlorestaTijucaRJ

July 8

I look out at the emerald mountains and am amazed by the amount of good we can do if we are determined to do so. This forest was hand planted in the late 1800's, after the original forest was destroyed to make way for coffee farms. I think it's brilliant that because people in the 19th century cared, so many plants and animals that would have been extinct have survived, and I have lived to witness that. Oh, and did I mention it's an urban forest? Yeah, the largest urban rain forest in the world. Smack dab in the middle of South Rio, but it's so huge that you can't tell.

As I lower my camera after attempting to capture the forest on film, I can hear the faint sound of a rushing waterfall...and a monkey is chattering in the branches above. I'm still waiting to see one--the monkeys have been shy so far. But it would be completely awesome to see a monkey in its natural habitat, so I'm keeping a sharp lookout...I breath in the cool, rain-scented air and close my eyes, letting the forest sweep me away for a moment as I store the memory.

5. Cape Peninsula, South Africa (Boulders Beach)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 5af11610

July 17

Though I had always planned on someday going to South Africa, I hadn't planned on going THIS far south. Still, the second I heard that they had PENGUINS here I knew I had to travel down. No way was I gonna go all the way to Antarctica--I really don't like the cold. But this far south I can manage.

It's really cool today, about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is refreshing after all the hot places I've been to lately. It's also raining almost nonstop--not the most ideal weather, but honestly, it was worth it just to see these adorable little black and white guys. They're just hanging out at the beach, as if they were common seagulls! And when they waddle across the sand...they just make me laugh. I love them. I'm gonna head along the coast next, because I hear whale sightings are frequent this time of year. I can't wait to see my first whale...

6. Tuscany, Italy (Ponte Vecchio, Florence)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World View-ponte-vecchio

July 26

When I walked along the Ponte Vecchio, or Old Bridge, earlier today I could just feel all the history soaked into it. It's been around for ages--the last time it was rebuilt was in 1345, after a flood. 1345! Can you even imagine that century? Whenever I tried to conjure an image of the 12th century, I'd usually end up blank. But walking along the bridge, I could almost hear the cry of fishmongers and my nose crinkles up in reaction to the imagined smell of freshly slaughtered meat from the butchers. Little boys run barefoot across the stones and a cloaked woman stands by an arch, looking out the Arno river...

Then it all vanishes and I am jostling for room amid jewelers and tourist shops. I took this pic from a distance awhile after, as I headed to the center of Florence to search for the perfect gelato. Mmm. I think I want chocolate-maple-strawberry.

7. Cordoba, Spain (Statue of Maimonides, Jewish Quarter)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Cordob10 GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Cordova

August 3

Why Cordoba? Because I've learned about this place for years and years. It was glowing with Jewish life in like, the 10th century. In 1013 the Berbers lay siege to Cordoba and ever since then it was never really the same. Sure, there were some more bright spots along the way, like the great Maimonides who was born and lived there, but even he had to flee eventually. In the 15th century, the Inquisition tribunal in Cordoba was especially cruel...

But anyway, enough about that. I had to stop for a moment, on my way to the Ancient Synagogue (we're talking built in 1315!) at the statue of Miamonides, in the Plaza de Tiberiades. The Rambam, (Hebrew acronym for Rabbi Moses ben Maimon) was undeniably a hero. His brilliant works on Jewish law are still studied today by all manner of religious Jews, from the most eminent scholars to the simplest children. Besides for that, he was physician to the sultan of Egypt and wrote many medical books. (There's even a hospital right in my hometown of Brooklyn, NY named Maimonides! Tribute, of course, to the great Rabbi...) Oh and yeah, he was also leader of the Jewish community in Cairo, which is where he fled to from Cordoba. So when I stood there looking up at the statue dedicated to him, yeah, you could say I got a bit misty-eyed...

8. Limerick, Ireland (Peter Clohessy's Bar, though I will insist on calling it pub)

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Image1

I must say I was very disappointed at first. After all, I didn't come all the way to Ireland to spend my time in a BAR! We have those in New York, for Merlin's sake! Was it asking to much to want a pub? When I voiced my complaints to the bar manager (Peter Clohessy himself, though I didn't know it at the time--how was I supposed to? He was sitting on the barstool next to me! Just sitting there!) he laughed, and in a very Irish accent, said that only the tourists called it 'pub' and offered to buy me a pint.

I was flattered, of course, but had to decline, not wanting to owe a stranger a drink. Though this stranger did have really cute freckles dancing across his nose and cheekbones... I was slightly mollified though by the thought that though there are bars in New York, I don't often find anyone speaking with such a heavy Irish accent at the bars I frequent, nor anyone looking so adorably Irish. And the lilting accents washing over me were really quite wonderful...sighing, I ordered another glass of Harp, deliberately ignoring the guy beside me with the light chestnut hair who smirked as he drank his dark Guinness.

Extra Credit--King John's Castle, Limerick
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 00380110

Extra Credit--Golden Vale, County Limerick
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Limeri10

9. Paris, France (Hotel la Perle)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Imgbig10

Extra Credit--Arc de Triomphe, Paris
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Arcdtr10

Extra Credit--Louvre Museum
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Paris-10

10. Queensland, Australia (Green Sea Turtle, Great Barrier Reef)
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Austra10

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited by on Sat Nov 10 2007, 23:53; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegiftbp.com
Raistlin The Wizard
Headmaster : Slytherin Head of House: Astronomy Professor : 1st Year : Master of All
Headmaster : Slytherin Head of House: Astronomy Professor : 1st Year : Master of All
Raistlin The Wizard

Male
Regist. date : 2006-07-26
Number of posts : 11497
Real First Name : Lost in the mists of time...
Warning :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue3 / 33 / 3GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

House : Slytherin!
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Slythe10
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue700 / 700700 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptyFri Nov 09 2007, 13:07

1. England (Extra Credit)

Wiltshire County - Stonehenge

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Stonehenge

My long journey around the world had to start in one of the most important and influential countries of the word, England!
My first stop in this beautiful country was Stonehenge. This is perhaps one of the most known and old monuments in existence. For years these strange groups of rocks have attracted the curiosity of thousands. Many theories surround the purpose of this monument and how it came to existence.
I arrived there early but was so fascinated by the place that when I noticed it was already sunset! And what a sunset! Look at the clouds in its reddish tone, it’s something I’ll never forget!

London – Big Ben

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Big-Ben-at-night

On that same day I managed to get to London. It was night. First thing I noticed was the famous ‘Big Ben’, the largest four-faced chiming turrent clock, rising itself above from the buildings around.

The London Eye

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 400px-London_Eye_Twilight_April_2006

Also not difficult to spot was the London Eye! What a ride it was! The view of London from up there is just overwhelming, especially at night. I’ll be definitely coming back, though next time I might apparate inside an empty cabinet that was a way too expensive trip.

2. Paris, France – Notre Dame

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 300px-Paris-notre-dame-facade

Going down on my journey next country was France! No, I was not dying to see the Eiffel tower. More important to me was Notre Dame! The symmetrical proportions of this cathedral never cease to impress me.

I wish I had been there at night to see how the lights would affect its shapes and what shadows would appear but I had to keep moving.

3. Rome, Italy – Coliseum

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Istockphoto_2903873_the_coliseum_in_rome_italy

Italy! Land with great past history! Also land with too many tourists! You wouldn’t believe how hard it was to take a picture with my magical camera!

Finally I did it! I tell you walking inside of a monument which such a profound and also violent history is a rush of adrenaline for history lover freaks!

4. Athens, Greece (Extra Credit)

Parthenon

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Partenon

Finally, one of the most important stops in my world travel. Greece! Look at that. The Parthenon. Such perfection. If I had a time machine I’d definitely go to the times when Greece was the most influent and developed country in the world.

While taking pictures of this I found myself imagining it in perfect conditions, the sun hitting the white stone and looking like it’s glowing! With difficulty I force myself to move to other place.

Erechtheum

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Athens_Erechtheum_with_Porch_of_Maidens

When you think you can’t be amazed by Greeks ancient culture and architecture you get surprised. Look at that. Perfect beauty. No words can describe the magnificence of such works.

Odeon of Herodes Atticus

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World 89

Magic! Just magical! No wizard magic can compare to the sensation of being sitting there watching a play.

5. Istanbul, Turkey - Sultan Ahmed Mosque

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Image_4391

Is this real or a dream? My eyes cannot believe humans with no magic could build such an amazing and fairy telling structure.

I was right some local wizards told me the Mosque was built with the help of the mots notable muslins wizards of that time and that they all gave their life to imprint such beauty to the place.

6. Western Sahara Desert, Morocco

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Westsaharaer1

The immensities of this place crush our soul. So sterile but also so vibrant and alive. I take a photo of those people far away and wonder how can they live in such a hostile place.

This is too hypnotic for me to stay much long I need to move before I stay stuck here forever wandering in the vast sands that time cannot touch.

7. Agra, India – Taj Mahal

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Taj-Mahal-da-India

This trip is a series of dreams all linked together. Now I see the world’s most beautiful posthumous honor and a sign of what love can inspire.

Walking through these gardens and looking at that white amazedness I wish that someday I can inspire such beauty in the eyes of someone.

8. Kyoto, Japan

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Kyoto

Nothing better than Japan to make us feel like we’re living in a doll world. Everything is so tiny and cute and ‘perfect’!

Amazing how even nature makes all look so tiny and colorful. There’s no way someone wouldn’t just feel peaceful around here. I think I’ll take a while around here.

9 Siberia, Russia

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Siberia2

Apparating thousands of feet above the sea level ISNT FUNNY! I almost suffocated! Besides COLD!

Anyway look at this picture. Serenity… it echoes through glacial and immemorial mountains. Time to reflect on all I’ve seen now. My next and final stops awaits me.

10. Kerry County, Ireland

GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Kerry-Landscapes-01

And my journey comes to an end at last. You see that island in the sea over there? That’s where I’m going to live, without muggles around to bother me surrounded my all of Ireland’s coastline beauty.

Even after all the beauty I saw around the world there’s no other place I’d chose to live. Forever in my heart has the Emerald country held a special place. Come join me one of these days!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Amy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 11746
Real First Name : Amy
Warning :

House : Gryffindor
Crest : GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Gryffi10
Award Bar :
GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World EmptySun Nov 11 2007, 06:52

This class is now closed, and your points are below.

Raistlin the Wizard: 550

streams of silver: 360

Herbaceoustraitorous: 300

Elana: 150
Back to top Go down
http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World   GEOGRAPHY : Class 2 : Around the World Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1