Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSBRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread

Go down 
+20
MustangsFangirl
Ellemanae
anisa_fanfic
Vicky_Weasley
Raistlin The Wizard
Elfie Dumbledore
streams of silver
Dancingsunset
OUTxxWITHxxAxxBANG
KatieBellaTrix
littleprincess_01
amberg93
Stealth Wizard
Etta
Severus Snape
running_swift
Fated4HP
Padfoot Potter
Amy
Herbaceoustraitorous
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Herbaceoustraitorous
2nd Year
2nd Year
Herbaceoustraitorous

Female
Country : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Flag_c10
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 2228
Real First Name : Christina
Warning :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

House : Ravenclaw
Crest : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Ravenc10
Wand : Chestnut and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue40 / 70040 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 06 2006, 21:09

First topic message reminder :

A Bloke started having Bread trouble with his Bog. I told him he was a Bungalow and needed a cup of Brew. His Backhanders Babby is Barking at Bedfordshire. I said Anchor the Ankle-biters up the Apples and pears. This would fix his Ackers and have a Best of British Afty.

(hehe.. this was fun...lol)
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Country : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Flag_u10
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 5236
Real First Name : Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
Warning :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

House : Gryffindor Girlie
Crest : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Gryffi10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 70053 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13 2007, 16:13

I'm american and we just say stroller.. its easier... only one word!
Back to top Go down
MustangsFangirl
1st Year
1st Year
MustangsFangirl

Female
Regist. date : 2007-11-24
Number of posts : 889
Real First Name : Hannah
Warning :

House : Gryffindor
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27 2007, 16:53

Uhh... some people seemed a bit stuck on what the first post meant.

Here I am to translate!!

A Bloke started having Bread trouble with his Bog.

A guy started having money trouble with his toilet.

I told him he was a Bungalow and needed a cup of Brew.

I told him he was an idiot and needed a cup of tea.

His Backhanders Babby is Barking at Bedfordshire.

His bribes baby is crazy at Bedfordshire(actual place)

I said Anchor the Ankle-biters up the Apples and pears.

I said lift the little kids up the stairs.

This would fix his Ackers and have a Best of British Afty.

This would fix his money and have a good afternoon.

Umm.. yeah, doesnt make much sense, was it supposed to?
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Regist. date : 2007-08-11
Number of posts : 4857
Real First Name : Katherine
Warning :

House : slytherin.
Crest : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Slythe10
Wand : Willow and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue16 / 70016 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27 2007, 16:55

Someone should open a class for this :]] ya know, for all us Americans. Then I promise I will teach you Pittsburgheese haha
Back to top Go down
http://z11.invisionfree.com/rpg_underground
Etta
Deputy Head : Hufflepuff HoH : Divination Professor : 6th Year
Etta

Female
Country : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Flag_u12
Regist. date : 2006-03-03
Number of posts : 6607
Real First Name : Bee
Warning :

House : HUFFLEPUFF
Crest : BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Huffle10
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue78 / 70078 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04 2007, 16:52

haha maybe you should suggest the idea to Elfie, BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 436937 it would be a fun class that even i could take part in since, well, my English is terrible and i was born and bred here haha.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Regist. date : 2007-10-08
Number of posts : 8321
Real First Name : some call me Ropie. thats good enough for you to know. xD
Warning :

House : witty and clever forever and ever!!! go ravenclaw!!!
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11 / 70011 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30 2007, 17:01

I am an American, born and being raised. I personally think the whole British thing is fascinating. I love the U.K accent . Is it true depending on where you live (there) affects exactly what kind of accent you have? Do you Brits really use some of the terms that are in the Harry Potter books and movies? Well if you do I guess you wouldn't know the difference in the terms...
examples- "bloody hell" my personal favorite, "bloke", "chum", etc...
Sorry if I sound like a little kid, but, well, you guys are just so interesting! Do you really have double deckers? And another thing, well I guess I'll wait for all these questions to be answered first. But don't worry, I have more.
P.S- I think an American slang class is a good idea, then we U.S.A folks could teach you all ( or ya'll)
Back to top Go down
streams of silver
5th Year
5th Year
streams of silver

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 6449
Real First Name : What is real?
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff, of course. I thought it was obvious...
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 70015 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30 2007, 18:46

I had to go look up the term 'donkey jacket' after I read it somewhere, and I imagined it to be made out of donkey skin or summat. XD Turns out it's just a woolen sweater jacket type thingy. Where the donkeys are, I have no idea. ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegiftbp.com
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue16 / 70016 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30 2007, 18:52

We really DO need a class on this.... some one open one PLEASE!!! And we can give one on American Slang XD
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue78 / 70078 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31 2007, 03:26

lol, okay first up, Loonykim, yes depending on where you live your accent will be totally different from someone who lives 100 miles away.

for example, Elfie lives down south, i live right up in the north east, our accemts are extremely different, so different people can hardly understand what i say.

And yes we do use terms like bloody hell, blimey etc the things you see and rad i th HP books and films are generally what we say here....except i dont say Chum, its so i dunno pompeus for someone from my area to say lol.

Now, i have no idea about Donkey Jacket, ive never heard it before lol!

And yes smeone should teach this as a class, perhaps you should sugested it in te Head of House Office on the main page Kathrine. BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 436937

And finally, its time to teach you all some Geordie (the way i talk) after three you shall all learn to say "come on, that was extremely good don't you agree?"

now, 1 2 , 3

Howay man, tha wa well mint dain't yee fink.

xD i'd love to hear an american say that BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 13
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11 / 70011 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31 2007, 15:53

WHAT?? What in the world does that mean? Is that how you sound when you talk? You should hear some of American greetings. Where I live(California) most young people say stuff like" What's up?", "What it do?", and stuff like that. I'll request for an American Slang forum to open up.
I have a question for a British to answer but it doesn't have to do with the lingo. You guys are still ruled by a queen, right? How does that feel? And do you have Parliament? Or am I wrong? Just curious on that, cuz I just love the whole british thing.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01 2008, 14:55

Okay *clears throat* quick history lesson.

We still have a Queen, HOWEVER the monarchy has NO control over the country ie the Queen doesn't actually rule us, Parliment, our Government the eejits, rule us instead, it goes back to the time of the English Civil War, annnnnnnd have you heard of guy Fawkes? That guy was a loon, we still celebrate the gun powder plot grin anyways to know more about when the monarchy lost rule over the UK read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell

or just google oliver cromwell.

History lesson over lol, and yes thats how we talk in the north east of England BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 436937
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01 2008, 15:43

[font=Courier New]Ok well that clears a lot up, thanks. I don't watch British news or anything so I don't know what goes on. So the Queen basically just gets to be rich and live in a palace?[/font]
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 01:41

um, yup basically. And she doesnt even chose who gets knighted in the honours list or anything, thats all down to our government as well.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 09:51

hmmm... interesting.That means you have knights? Like, to fight? Or just people who get honors?
Back on the language topic, when you go to school, do you call each level a year or a grade? Like,"I'm in 8th grade" OR,"I'm in my 8th year". In America we call them grades
Back to top Go down
Amy
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Amy

Female
Number of posts : 11746
Real First Name : Amy
Warning :

Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 10:06

People are still knighted, but it's an honour thing. Sir Paul McCartney, for example.

Quote :
Back on the language topic, when you go to school, do you call each level a year or a grade? Like,"I'm in 8th grade" OR,"I'm in my 8th year". In America we call them grades.

We call them years. Here's a quick overview of the English education system:

Nursery
Children may go to nursery before the age of five.

Primary School
Year One: 5-6
Year Two: 6-7
Year Three: 7-8: In this year, children sit tests called SATs (Standard Attainment Tests) at Key Stage One
Year Four: 8-9
Year Five: 9-10
Year Six: 10-11: In this year, children sit tests called SATs at Key Stage Two. A lot of children will also sit 11+ exams, with the aim of getting into a Grammar School.

Secondary School
Year Seven: 11-12
Year Eight: 12-13
Year Nine: 13-14: In this year, you sit the final level of SATs at Key Stage Three
Year Ten: 14-15
Year Eleven: 15-16: At the end of Year Eleven, everyone has to sit their GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education). You take the three core subjects (English, Maths, Science), as well as "options". At least one modern language is compulsory. Most people take between 9-14 GCSEs, though it depends on the school.

Compulsory education ends here, and you can leave school for good.

Sixth Form/College

Most people will opt to go to Sixth Form/College, though it's not compulsory. School's often have Sixth Form's attached to them, though there are also independant colleges, which also offer vocational qualifications such as NVQs.

Year 12 (Lower Sixth): 16-17: At the end of Year 12, you sit your AS-Level exams. At most colleges and sixth forms you take four AS-Levels plus General Studies.
Year 13 (Upper Sixth): 17-18: At the end of Year 13, you sit your A-Level exams. At this point, most people have dropped one subject that they studied in Year 12, and therefore many people end up with three A-Levels, one AS-Level and one General Studies A-Level.

Further Education

After Sixth Form/College, you can go to university. Universities accept you based on your A-Level qualifications.

Hope this has helped!
Back to top Go down
http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 10:15

Oh, wow. Thats a bit confusing... haha, with the Americans, you just have to attend Kindergarden before you turn 8, and take state tests every once in a while. So, you go to 13 years instead of 12? Thats interesting.... and i have a question. If you fail your GCSE's, does that mean you cant continue on in school?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 10:30

It's very hard to fail your GCSEs.

Pass grades are A*, A, B, C, D, E, F and G. But to get below a G...you'd have to just sit in the exam and do nothing, I reckon. The fail mark is known as a U - Unclassified. Though, saying that, I remember one girl getting a U in my year at GCSE...anyway. If you fail, you can resit them.

Most sixth forms and colleges require a minimum of GCSE's before they accept you - at my school, which was a Grammar School, they wanted you to get at least five B's, but it'd vary from place to place.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 11:49

*waves hand*

i got a U in GCSE Spanish, but thats because i was rather, um, merry and started t sing Baby One More Time, very funny, i never did care for Spanish.

Also, here where i live we have middle school, which you attend from the age of 9 to 13, before going to High School, we're still in the process of tansferring into primary and secondary schools, and *whispers* i didnt go to Nursery....but thats because i was in hospital alot til i was 6 lol.
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 11:52

ooo, I see. Hod dos the grading system exzactly work then? Cause thats a lot. In America, below a D is a failing grade, C's are considered a time for warning.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 12:05

well, the GCSE's are or were i dunno anymore it was 10 years ago when i was at school lol, but they are split into two groups Higher and Foundation, if you're enterted into Higher, you are thought to be intellligent enough to handle tougher questios and if you dont get a C grade, you fail, the pass grades for Higher are A*. A, B, C, FAIL. Or atleats it was when i was at school. Then there is Foundation, the highest mark you can get is C, and the lowest is U, it really all depends on your SATs marks and how your teachers feel you will handle the exam papers.
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 12:22

ooooo, ok. I gtet it now :]
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02 2008, 12:40

That's difficult to understand, but ha you can get a U. That's pretty bad. (Sorry, Etta) In America you get A, B, C, D, and F. I have no idea why they skip E. And you only have 11 mandatory grades, lucky, we have 12 actually if you count KG it's 13. But once you turn 16 it's legal to drop out.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03 2008, 01:09

Well we finish school at 16, anything after year 11 is optional. Which i think so much better then havin to stay until 18 as the government are now planning to do.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03 2008, 20:45

is there really double deckers there? and do you drive on the left side of the road? oh, and do you actually have tea time?
sorry, i am hyper and curious!!
Back to top Go down
Dancingsunset
1st Year
1st Year
Dancingsunset

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-03
Number of posts : 8545
Location : Stuck in Octoberland with my amazing husband Anthony
Real First Name : Schizo-Dani and Eryn
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff don't judge us we're still badgers grrr...
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 7005 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03 2008, 21:09

Okay I have a question....

In america...F means of course Fail...then I'm sure the other letters mean something else as well. A is...accell I think. Anyway what does E stand for?

Anyway, back to language, in america the...Tasty word changes back and forth, does this happen in England? If so what is the...quote quote fantabulous word right about now?
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03 2008, 21:59

funnily enough we don't have E's. It goes A, B, C, D, and F. It's just skipped, it's just always been that way
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 03:17

Okay first of al we have double decker buses, and trust me when i say, never attempt to go downstairs when the bus is turning a corner!

Define Tea Time. Here we say Tea instead of dinner and dinner instead of lunch, and if your thinking of all things Mary Poppin's where they have "high Tea" time, with tiny cups and piles of cakes, then no, unless your the Queen i think.

I have no idea what the Letter's stand for, i just know i had plenty of E's in my exam results lmao i had D's and C's and one B i never did figure out they all mean. hmm, have you tried googling it?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 03:43

To be honest I don't think they stand for anything, they're just a scale of letters.

About tea time - some regions of the country would say tea instead of dinner, but other regions don't. Some regions would say supper, for example, whilst others would just stick with dinner. Yeah, we don't have the high tea thing from Mary Poppins or Famous Five grin

Yup, we drive on the left side of the road, and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car.

Hmm...the "fantabulous" word right now...well, I'm a bit out of it cos I've been in France, but I've noticed Elly saying 'mega' a lot over the holidays.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 10:22

FANTABULOUS= fantastic and fabulous
And i was thinking of the cakes and cups definition of 'tea time'. That's cool that you have double deckers. You guys should try driving here, you drive on the right side of the road and the wheel's on the left, you'd probably feel backwards. (Watch 'The Holiday') Thanks for your knowledge!
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 11:51

Ohhh im so going to hire a car on my trip to New York lmao watch the news for the Breaking News Reports of the "Insane English woman seen driving through Manhattan on the wrong side of the road shouting to everyone that she is doing nothing wrong" BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 13

And the whole "FANTABULOUS" word - well, here, where i live ive noticed a lot of the kids are saying UBER and Fandabbydozzy (i used to say that to my parents years ago!) lol i still find it mind blowing how the younger generation start saying "new" words only for us older ones to go "Oh we used to say that when we were kids!" which is what i said to a kid today when they went "Ohhhhh Fandabbydozzy!"
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 12:20

what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 12:30

basically it means Brilliant, fantastic great etc.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 14:00

ooh, ok i have another question, big suprise. So I'm making macaroni and cheese and was wondering what do you call the yellow stuff you put on toast or waffles? We call it butter, but I know some call it margerine.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 14:05

Butter and margarine are two different things. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is (though we always have margarine cos my Mum says it's healthier). But yeah, both grin
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 14:07

lol i use marg because its CHEAPER! and you can taste the difference lol, butter is much more creamier then marg, and softer.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 14:33

oh i didn't know that, well, we used butter. so, do people in Europe always talk about wanting to come visit north america like we always want to visit europe?
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04 2008, 14:54

I dunno, its not like "oh i sooo want to visit the USA!" its more or less wherever people want to go on holiday, like myself, me and my partner are going to New York but not because of the city itself, because of the shopping XD we'd much rather visit places like Greece and Italy, because of the history there and the weather is just an added bonus lol
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05 2008, 09:46

OOOO, thats cool. yeah, the american are obsessed with visiting Europe.... mexico has suddenly become "overated" haha.I have a question.... what do you think are the best vacation spots in Europe?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05 2008, 13:36

The Isle of Wight!!

No, seriously, it's my favourite place. It's the little diamond shaped island at the bottom of the UK, and it's so pretty there.

Apart from that...well I've never really been on holiday anywhere else so...Isle of Wight grin
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05 2008, 15:58

haha, ok. Thanks! I am prob gonna be vacationing in Europe my senior year, me and my friends plan on it, so we were wondering... haha
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06 2008, 11:05

Oh now visiting Europe depends on what kind of person you are, are you into histprical places? Because i could name a few hundred places in the UK to visit then their is Greece and Italy etc.

But then if you're a party person, i'd say try Ibiza, Majorca, Kos, Rhodes, etc.
Back to top Go down
streams of silver
5th Year
5th Year
streams of silver

Female
Number of posts : 6449
Real First Name : What is real?
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff, of course. I thought it was obvious...
Award Bar :
BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 70015 / 700BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06 2008, 21:11

Seems like you Brits are always mentioning Majorca. It's like the IT place, or something. Lmao. I first heard of it in the HP books when Vernon keeps mentioning it...

Oohh and I simply have to jump in with the butter/margarine convo...um hello, we have both here as well, butter and margarine. Margarine is made of vegetable oil, and butter is made of milk (cream). *shakes head*
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegiftbp.com
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08 2008, 08:00

well i didn't know that, my bad...
so what are the average school hours over there? our's are from 8AM-3PM.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08 2008, 11:39

Some schools differ but wher ei live, school starts at 9am ends at 3.30pm. Unless of course your wagging, then school starts at 9am and ends at 9.01am XD i used to love those days lmao
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08 2008, 13:24

I think that's pretty general for most schools. Mine was 8.50 til 3.30.

Also, I remember seeing someone in the GHCR being shocked about how late our school's end for the summer.

They usually end mid-July, but don't go back until the beginning week of September.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08 2008, 16:15

that's a short summer! in california we start the last week of august and get out the second week of june. but my friends in alabama and florida start the first week of august and get out the third week of may
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08 2008, 18:02

So.... do you guys have, like, feild trips? Cause I couldn't live without them. XD
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09 2008, 10:06

Sometimes. But they're not called field trips - just school trips.

Most secondary schools will do a residential or two between Years 7-9. My school also had the ski trip and the cruise, but everything had to be paid for.

In primary school we'd do school trips to museums, theme parks, pantomimes and plays etc.
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09 2008, 11:35

oh i loved the trips when i wa sin first school! Esp at Xmas, i loved the panto!

Also, every student (at my old school anyway) HAD TO attend Church at Christmas for the Christmas service, even though it isnt a religious school, its a requirement, mind you, and if you're parents phoned the school to say you were ill on that day the school would actually send a teacher out to check on the student. It so sucks.

I think 7 weeks for summer holidays was long enough as well, by week 5 my friends and i would be climbing the walls by then lol.
Back to top Go down
LOONYkim
1st Year
1st Year
LOONYkim

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18 2008, 11:57

yeah, after a couple of weeks it gets boring, but you are always mad when you have to go back to school...
OH MY GOSH, I don't have anything to ask, what a surprise!! I'm having a brain fart.*lightbulb goes on*WAIT!!! That's it!! Do you guys have brain farts? or do you call them something else
Back to top Go down
Etta
Etta

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20 2008, 16:36

What on earth is a brain fart? Like an idea? Or something stupid?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread   BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions  thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BRITISH SLANG - Practise and questions thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next