Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSDiscussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)

Go down 
+7
dragonweaver
Ilyria
stephy
polly
x_cookie-monster_x
Just_Ginny
Elfie Dumbledore
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Elfie Dumbledore
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_u12
Regist. date : 2006-02-21
Number of posts : 15397
Real First Name : Sharon
Warning :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue1 / 31 / 3Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

House : I didn't retire...I surrendered!
Crest : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Hogwar10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Empty
PostSubject: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyFri Feb 22 2008, 16:14

Discussion Class : The Power of the Words
Runs alongside
Rune Magic (Part 1)
There is a power in words, whether it be from runes or from the modern day written language.

Discuss this in detail. Cover as many aspects as you wish. New thoughts, theories and research will gain extra points. You may post as many times as you wish in debate with other members on this subject.

There is a possible 100 points for this class.

Any sources used, please remember to cite them

Back to top Go down
http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-26
Number of posts : 10804
Real First Name : Rachel
Warning :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

House : Hufflepuff! HUFF PUFF BADGERS FOR THE WIN!
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue25 / 70025 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyFri Feb 22 2008, 19:35

But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."
~George Gordon Byron

I agree that there is a very significant power in words. Take note: we're all here because we were inspired by the written works of J.K. Rowling. We have read these stories and been entertained, laughed, cried, and these books have brought us together and helped bond us to each other as a unique group of "family" and close friends.

The beginning of my country was through a very important written document known as the Declaration of Independence. These words told the story of a nation's desire for a freedom they eventually won. ((Sorry if this is a sore topic for Brits xD)) Another example of the power of words in America was via the Emancipation Proclamation, which empowered people to fight to end slavery.

These and many other cases throughout history show the power of words.
Back to top Go down
http://charmedchildren.proboards51.com
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Regist. date : 2008-01-12
Number of posts : 2149
Real First Name : Dorothy - call me dory if you value your life! NOT dorothy!
Warning :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

House : Slytherin
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 07:49

I agree that words have a huge impact on someones life. For example, when you are young, words are aborbed by your brain like a sponge. What inspired me to write was the power of words, some credit must be given to J.K. Rowling which changed so much, not only in my life, but in others lives too. Almost an entire world was immobilised by these books, which, if you were to boil it down, we just some well chosen words.
And if you were a lawyer, the right words would define a person's future.
Isn't there a saying that goes: 'the pen is mightier than the sword.'? Which means that well chosen words can stop a conflict.
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue25 / 70025 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 07:56

Your point about lawyers being able to use words to save a person's life is quite true. But we also have to remember that words can start a conflict or put a criminal back on the streets as well.

"Words are potent weapons for all causes, good or bad".--Manly Hall

Progaganda is a method of using words to sway the people's minds, such as can be seen in the case of Animal Farm. (which was an allegory of the Russian Revolution) Napoloean managed to manipulate the othre animals on the farm so much, he managed to revert them back to what they had originally been-oppressed by a ruling class.

In everyday life words also can have a negative impact on us. Especially for teens, we think we have to be supermodel-beautiful, stick thin, and everything that the majority of us are not. So we think negatively about ourselves, using words such as "I hate how my..." or "I don't like this about myself..." and it does nothing but give us a low self image. Words are a powerful thing, a double-edged sword, if you will. But, their positive aspect can come into play when we start thinking positively, by noticing how we did well on something, or if we look particularly nice today. Words, like all types of magic, should be used carefully, but can do good when used right.
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:07

It's true that words are both positive and negetive - that's why we must be extra careful in dealing with a more subtle type of magic.
It's also very true how some people put about that teens have to be beautiful, and that they should see their 'inner-beauty', but that's becoming increasingly difficult in the world that's coming - also with the fact that people can use insulting words to hurt someone else, as you pointed out.
But words are powerful, good or bad, there's no denying that!
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:12

I think one of the power obvious powers of words that we have not yet mentioned is the fact that they're spells. Where would we be without our charms, enchantments, and general spells to get us through our days? This is yet another example of words being taken for granted.
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:19

Very true! People take words (and their power) for granted these days, but as you said, magic wouldn't be the same without words. Nothing would be the same without words. No way to communicate, no way to understand things without a lot of effort... And names for things! If you didn't have names for things and you went down to the shops to buy some milk, it would be near impossible!
Besides, you'd easily feel the power of words if it were a hex or a curse!
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:22

Indeed, I'm sure quite a fw people would be forced to acknowledge the power of words via a curse or hex. Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) 13

Words are also used in self-help courses. I mentioned above how it can improve ones self-esteem by noticing the good things about oneself, and not the things that differ you from the supermodels in terms of looks or weight. Thinking "I am beautiful" is a positive affirmation.

But we must remember, that thinking something will not make it happen-typically, anyway. You can't look in your empty purse and say "I have money" and expect galleons, sickles, and knuts to fall out of the sky and into your waiting pocket. Words are powerful, but they can't do everything. Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) 13
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:32

Very true, although I wish it was possible, I could use the money! grin
And yet sometimes, words have no effect at all. Sure, they will sometimes persuade, for example, but sometimes a person can be so stubborn as to not even listen to the words. Words have to be accepted, too.
And words will only have power if connected the right way. If you just say, for example: "Mum I'd really like to have some money to buy sweets because I really want some sweets ", then you havn't even got a chance.
And then there's the topic the words are displaying. If it's a topic that interesses you, then you have more of a chance to be amazed by the words. But if it's about something that you need to know something about it already, then you won't be able to feel the strength of the words.
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:48

I agree, words need to be used in the right way, otherwise they won't be anywhere near as effective. I'm sure we've all buttered up our parents at one point or another, and noticed it's very different than simply asking.

And, for someone who has had to write her share of essays, the fact that words need to inspire you in order for you to be able to use them is very much true. I've written about topics that have just been assigned to me and that I have not chosen myself and the essays are not as good as the ones that I choose to write.

Another power of words is that they help to spread knowledge. I'm reading words right now about a Greek Astronomer named Ptolemy, and am learning a great deal from what is on the website. Knowledge is power, words have power, words have knowledge. So simple xD
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 08:58

So simply said! Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) 13

I know where you're coming from with having to write essays that turn out better if you found the subject interesting than if it was drop-dead boring! But we mustn't forget that words are used to introduce, to influence, to discuss, to flatter, to persuade, to annoy, to inform... Most actions are impossible without words, as I mentioned earlier. Words are essentiel, and that's the bottom line.
Back to top Go down
polly
3rd Year
3rd Year
polly

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_u12
Regist. date : 2006-03-12
Number of posts : 10718
Real First Name : Polly
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw!
Crest : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Ravenc10
Wand : Hawthorn and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue11 / 70011 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 11:53

Words, where would we be if we did not have the words in our world the English language has so many words in it that it has been said that the english language has the most words in it. Words are the things we use every day and take for granted. Some people can be considered as having 'a way with words.' Such as poets and our beloved Jo.

Words are the things that can also make or break us. The words that people say to us do that, we can be happy forever if someone tells us they love us or we could be broken by the words said to us. Many people now have to 'watch what they say' other wise it will hurt people's feelings. Words are truly the most powerful thing we all posess. To voice our opinions using the words we know to say how we feel and to make or break someone else.
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 13:30

Ah, "watch what you say". An interesting comment, Polly, and one that is really quite multi-faceted. Watching what you say can be attributed to political correctness, some words are deemed too "harmful" to say, and therefore it is frowned upon if you say them. Some are truly awful, such as the n-word, but others it simply seems as though one person disliked the term and started something against it.

"Watching what you say" is also something directed to a child. They are taught "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Parents know how easily a child's feelings can be hurt by some words, and thus try to stop from their particular child causing that pain.
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 13:41

Perfectly true, words can even shape someone's future, but as I said, the words have to be strung together like beads on a string to their best effect. Words can become a meaningless jumble of letters. Words have evolved during our history, from the time of Jane Austen (who, by the way, is an excellent writer and provides an interesting read) with what we would call: Posh Language, to today's 'Slang' which would seem odd to the next generation. Words evolve with time, and we have to adapt.
And yet words are chosen by people, so if you are 'good with words' as polly pointed out, then you have a power.
Words are only what we make them.
Back to top Go down
stephy
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
stephy

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_u10
Regist. date : 2006-06-03
Number of posts : 30328
Real First Name : Stephanie, Polly calls me Stephums, Kim calls me Steffie and among others Im either mommy or granny
Warning :

House : ravenclaw
Wand : Walnut & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue85 / 70085 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 19:11

I also agree with you that words to have a lot of meaning.... but actions have say a lot more than words. like they say 'Actions speak louder than words'.... you can say one thing but it deosnt mean that you mean everything that you say. For instance you could have a boyfriend that says that he loves you but it doesnt mean much unless he shows you taht he loves you by kissing and hugging you, being there for you during those hard times and also by being honest with you. Any guy can go up to you and say I love you but it doesnt mean that he does love you. He could just be saying that. Also there are those who say that they are going to change but when they are gievn the oppunity they dont. People are not going to say well at least he said that he was going to change.... No instead they are going to talk about how he said he was going to do one thing but do somehting else. I believe that actions speak louder tahn words

Also when preforming spells there are those that can be done nonverbal... You dont have to say the word to make them work all you got to do is do the wand movement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/oddie_faneenala
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySun Feb 24 2008, 11:20

Yes, but you're using the words in your head, are you not?

And it's true that actions can speak louder than words. But that's generally when words are being used to decieve, which is another power that can be attributed to them.
Back to top Go down
Ilyria
5th Year
5th Year
Ilyria

Female
Regist. date : 2006-09-20
Number of posts : 2448
Location : IN MY GINGERBREAD HOUSE NEXT TO AMBY IN THE GAMES FORUM IM ADOPTED BY GINNY AND FATED!!
Real First Name : Lizzie
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw: THE OFFICIAL H.E. GHOST!
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyMon Feb 25 2008, 04:00

I think that you've hit the nail on the head with words can be used to decieve whereas with actions this is harder as it is right in front of you. With words, you can lie, cheat and decieve and imapact in someones whole life by one simple word.

I remember watching Dr Who (featuring David Tennant and Billie Piper) where the doctor brought the prime minister down with four small words

"Doesnt she look tired"

This circulated around and people lost faith in her abilities. She didnt look tired - a complete lie - yet the power of those words were immence.

Yes, this is fiction, though it can be known in reality. There have been many leaders in the world brought down by words, people killed because of rumours and lies. Words are power!

Words have the power to change things either for the better or the worst. There is no stronger thing than words.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among them are life, liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."--U.S. Declaration of Independence

Look at tht above statement from the decleration of independence. A whole country lives by the words that some people said years before. If that isnt proof of power within words then nothing is.
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyTue Feb 26 2008, 02:41

You're absolutely right! I remember that Dr Who episode and that's a very good example. And Just_Ginny/stephy said that lies are powerful. Only if they're credible! If you make up a lie that's not even possible, then no-one will belive you and those words will either be forgotten or will be remembered as lies. Either way they will bounce off a brick wall. Even in lying there's power. Power to make someone else belive something untrue. Power to be able to remember some person as a lier. But as I said, it has to be credible! There's a fine line in the connection of words, the choice of words, even the length of the statement! Short and concise, or long and detailed: It depends on the audience.
Back to top Go down
dragonweaver
2nd Year
2nd Year
dragonweaver

Female
Regist. date : 2007-06-22
Number of posts : 2895
Real First Name : Ingrid
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff
Wand : Ash and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue7 / 7007 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyTue Mar 04 2008, 18:38

Not only outright lies are powerful but gossip is a powerful thing too. Just because you 'streach the truth' a little bit and tell a friend about your perspective of something (whether it's true or not), it may become a misunderstanding and cause some damage.

(and this is a common theme in some books and movies and even real life)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~veliakaida
drkangelcat
2nd Year
2nd Year
drkangelcat

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_u10
Regist. date : 2007-02-01
Number of posts : 4340
Real First Name : Cat
Warning :

House : Slytherin's Official Nut
Crest : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Slythe10
Wand : Willow & Veela Hair
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue68 / 70068 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyMon Mar 10 2008, 18:21

Words are powerful. Especially in books that can be sold and bought all over the place. Words transfer ideas. Many books of ideas, such as during the Renaissance, have spread beliefs and caused changes in government and society. Even books that are not a book of nonfiction can spread beliefs or somehow influence people. J.K. Rowling's series has influenced many children to read more. Her books have opened many minds to the enjoyment of reading words. There are even some books out there that make people think about the future and what could happen. In the Shadow Children series their is a population control law and it makes me think that maybe one day the amount of children we can give birth to will be limited.

Even though pictures are said to be worth a 1,000 words, some things are better or can only be expressed by words.
Back to top Go down
http://drkangelkitty.deviantart.com
PrincessPotter
1st Year
1st Year
PrincessPotter

Female
Number of posts : 290
Real First Name : Elle :)
Warning :

House : Proud Ravenclaw :)
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySun Mar 23 2008, 23:05

I believe words have a very big amount of power. You see we express ourselves with words. We communicate with words. We write in words. Basically, everything has a connection to words. They way we present them can be basically in any way possible. We can be good or bad, happy or sad, excited or bored, entertained or annoyed, and so many more expressions. I think we must be careful they way in which we say things, that's why they say we must think before we say something because there are people who might misunderstand what we are trying to say. Personally, I loveeee words. I'm a huge reader/writer, I'm starting to write but I love it. I express myself no matter what I'm feeling and there's so many words I can use, it's wonderful. Think about it, what would life be with no words?
Back to top Go down
x_cookie-monster_x
1st Year
1st Year
x_cookie-monster_x

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyMon Mar 24 2008, 13:10

Words can be powerful, also used to flatter, and also to make friends. For example if someone were new to a class, there's an introduction to theirself, to talk to (new) people... And gossip! Where would we (most girls) be without gossip? Talking about other people is a fundamental column in our present society...
And yet, words can be of no use if you can't communicate - I'm thinking of different languages. I, for one, can't understand when someone talks to me in german, but I understand French. To know more than one language is
considered as a step up from someone who doesn't in a job interview.
Back to top Go down
PrincessPotter
1st Year
1st Year
PrincessPotter

Female
Number of posts : 290
Real First Name : Elle :)
Warning :

House : Proud Ravenclaw :)
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyMon Mar 24 2008, 14:09

Quote :
Where would we (most girls) be without gossip? Talking about other people is a fundamental column in our present society...

Haha you definitely have a point there...most girls gossip about everything, boys, celebrities, movies, etc. so many topics! If we didn't have words we would be lost. Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) 436937
Back to top Go down
Blue Rabbit Babe
2nd Year
2nd Year
Blue Rabbit Babe

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_e13
Regist. date : 2008-02-25
Number of posts : 3313
Real First Name : Zoe
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw, YEAH!!
Wand : Oak and Phoenix Tail Feathe
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySun Apr 13 2008, 06:22

Well, yeah but there are loads of questions that use words and concern words, like Who decided that words could have more than one meaning? and Why do some words occur in dfferent languages with a simalar meaning/ spelling?
Back to top Go down
Herbaceoustraitorous
2nd Year
2nd Year
Herbaceoustraitorous

Female
Country : Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Flag_c10
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 2228
Real First Name : Christina
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw
Wand : Chestnut and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue40 / 70040 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptyWed Apr 16 2008, 08:29

"In verbal arguments between one person and another, most people find they always lose, convinced they must be wrong, while others consistently win. Their logic, their reasons seem so compelling, so powerful, they virtually force others to change their opinions, their beliefs and their behavior to comply with what's being asked. Words written can be even more powerful since the written word is often uncritically accepted as being true.

Power is generated by using the words in such a way that they trigger emotional responses in the person who hears or reads them. These are enormous powers, largely because they are invisible. Others can thus be persuaded, manipulated and controlled without their knowledge."

Sources:

CLICKY
Back to top Go down
polly
3rd Year
3rd Year
polly

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-12
Number of posts : 10718
Real First Name : Polly
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw!
Wand : Hawthorn and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Left_bar_bleue11 / 70011 / 700Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) EmptySun Apr 20 2008, 05:21

Well done to everyone that took part, it was very fun to read some of your posts ^.^

Ravenclaw
Stephy 40
Ilyria 50
PrincessPotter 30
Blue Rabbit Babe 10
Herbaceoustraitorous 30

Hufflepuff
Just_Ginny 100
Dragonweaver 20

Gryffindor

Slytherin
x_cookie-monster_x 70
drkangelcat 40
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)   Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April) Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussion Class : The Power of the Words (Closing 15th April)
Page 1 of 1