Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSThe Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name

Go down 
+29
kathrineee_anne
polly
Rigby Dumbledore
Legendary
stephy
skatinglils
bright eyes
Vicky_Weasley
KatieBellaTrix
midnightamethyst
SheBleedsBlack_xx
Caroru
Dances With Wolves
skuldandy
Charmed Granger
Algebra_Geek5
Just_Ginny
Bewitched Girl
Dancingsunset
MarieC
Brunette
Amy
mcfly_42
amberg93
streams of silver
Arlywyn
cookiemonster
jennifer williams
Elfie Dumbledore
33 posters
AuthorMessage
Elfie Dumbledore
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Retired Headmistress : Mick, Snape, The Doctor and Edward Cullen - the men in my life!!
Elfie Dumbledore

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_u12
Regist. date : 2006-02-21
Number of posts : 15397
Real First Name : Sharon
Warning :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue1 / 31 / 3The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

House : I didn't retire...I surrendered!
Crest : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Hogwar10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Empty
PostSubject: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 14:57

What is the origin/s and meaning/s of your first name?

I believe my first name is Hebrew for Princess as is my sisters name lol
Back to top Go down
http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com
jennifer williams
5th Year
5th Year
jennifer williams

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_u10
Regist. date : 2006-02-27
Number of posts : 4390
Real First Name : I'd prefer to be called Jenn (NOT Jenny) Thank you very much. *smiles*
Warning :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

House : HUFFLEPUFF the only place to be...
Crest : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Huffle10
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue105 / 700105 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 14:59

I don't know what Jennifer is for but my real name is vietnamese for Phoenix. heh
Back to top Go down
cookiemonster
1st Year
1st Year
cookiemonster

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-22
Number of posts : 3086
Warning :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

House : Huffieeee
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 14:59

ooo, we did something like this for a school project.... My first name was a town or city in France in Mideval times, I think. I don't think it has any real meaning The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937
Back to top Go down
Arlywyn
1st Year
1st Year
Arlywyn

Female
Regist. date : 2006-07-28
Number of posts : 169
Real First Name : Aimeé
Warning :

House : gryffindor
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:00

My forename is a meaning of adored I believe from Latin
Back to top Go down
streams of silver
5th Year
5th Year
streams of silver

Female
Number of posts : 6449
Real First Name : What is real?
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff, of course. I thought it was obvious...
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue15 / 70015 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:06

Hm my first name means 'hidden' ... and my middle name means 'life.'
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegiftbp.com
amberg93
Deputy Head : Gryffindor HoH : Arithmancy & Arts & Muggle Studies Professor : 5th Year
Deputy Head : Gryffindor HoH : Arithmancy & Arts & Muggle Studies Professor : 5th Year
amberg93

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_c10
Regist. date : 2006-03-11
Number of posts : 16910
Real First Name : Amber/Amby :D
Warning :

House : Gryffindor!
Crest : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Gryffi10
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue391 / 700391 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:14

My first name means precious stone and its English.

My middle name of Lynn means from the lake and its Celtic/Gaelic
Back to top Go down
http://www.heartofamerica.proboards49.com
mcfly_42
1st Year
1st Year
mcfly_42

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 2713
Real First Name : Ellybelly :D
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:14

Eloise- not sure what it means...I just know it's frnech...and is the title of a rather cheesy song by the damned
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thinkelly
Amy
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Amy

Female
Number of posts : 11746
Real First Name : Amy
Warning :

House : Gryffindor
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue100 / 700100 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:17

My name means 'loved one', I believe.
Back to top Go down
http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
jennifer williams
5th Year
5th Year
jennifer williams

Female
Real First Name : I'd prefer to be called Jenn (NOT Jenny) Thank you very much. *smiles*
Warning :

Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue105 / 700105 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:18

The name Eloise is of French origin. Its meaning is, "intelligent, smart

heeh thats good!

Hmm Jennifer mean fair phantom... confused isn't that just a nice way of saying pale ghost? lol maybe I should choose another name..hmm
Back to top Go down
mcfly_42
1st Year
1st Year
mcfly_42

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-23
Number of posts : 2713
Real First Name : Ellybelly :D
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:24

Eloise meaning intelligent, smart?!?! o.o That must be wrong :P lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thinkelly
jennifer williams
5th Year
5th Year
jennifer williams

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 15:26

yep yep thats what it says online..and if guys if you're looking for a name I think Quinlan is nice...it mean descent of the handsome man LoL
Back to top Go down
Brunette
1st Year
1st Year
Brunette

Female
Regist. date : 2006-09-24
Number of posts : 1795
Real First Name : Holly
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 16:34

Holly
English
means Plant with red berries

So original, huh? lol

Last edited by on Mon Nov 20 2006, 16:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MarieC
2nd Year
2nd Year
MarieC

Female
Number of posts : 4309
Real First Name : Marie-Christiane
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue115 / 700115 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 16:59

Marie doesn't really mean anything but its the french form of the name of the Mother of God

Christiane means Christian XD so I have a really religious name I believe lol
Back to top Go down
http://heartofamerica.proboards49.com/
Dancingsunset
1st Year
1st Year
Dancingsunset

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-03
Number of posts : 8545
Location : Stuck in Octoberland with my amazing husband Anthony
Real First Name : Schizo-Dani and Eryn
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff don't judge us we're still badgers grrr...
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue5 / 7005 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Nov 20 2006, 17:02

Eryn~Peaceful; or one with the peace. (not so me)

Shay~Immature teen girl (no joke either, I looked up it's arabic roots.)
Back to top Go down
Bewitched Girl
1st Year
1st Year
Bewitched Girl

Female
Regist. date : 2006-11-18
Number of posts : 105
Real First Name : Helen
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 09:28

Helen means torch in greek :D

Quote :
Marie doesn't really mean anything but its the french form of the name of the Mother of God
I looked it up marie and it says 'sea of bitterness' lol
Back to top Go down
MarieC
2nd Year
2nd Year
MarieC

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue115 / 700115 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 11:18

rofl nice XD I'm a Christian sea of bitterness rofl
Back to top Go down
amberg93
amberg93

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-11
Number of posts : 16910
Real First Name : Amber/Amby :D
Warning :

House : Gryffindor!
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue391 / 700391 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 11:20

lol and I'm a percious stone from the lake XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.heartofamerica.proboards49.com
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-26
Number of posts : 10804
Real First Name : Rachel
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff! HUFF PUFF BADGERS FOR THE WIN!
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue25 / 70025 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:02

Well, my name Rachel has two meanings.

The actual meaning is: innocent ewe/lamb

haha, me=innocent? Right

But there is a second-probably more realistic-it's something Emma and I came up with, well, okay mostly Emma-anyways, the second meaning is...

evil.

XD
Back to top Go down
http://charmedchildren.proboards51.com
Algebra_Geek5
1st Year
1st Year

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-24
Number of posts : 2174
Real First Name : Emma
Warning :

House : GRYFFINDOR!!!!!!!
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:05

*nods* It does!

I honestly have no idea what my own name means. The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937 XD Typical...right? XD
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:14

Quote :
EMMA

Usage: English, French, Italian, Finnish, Dutch

Pronounced: EM-a (English) [key]
Derived from Germanic ermen meaning "whole" or "universal". This name was borne by the mother of Edward the Confessor and by an 11th-century German saint. This is also the name of the central character, the matchmaker Emma Woodhouse, in Jane Austen's novel 'Emma'.

There you are emma The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937

Last edited by on Tue Nov 21 2006, 14:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Charmed Granger
1st Year
1st Year
Charmed Granger

Female
Regist. date : 2006-06-12
Number of posts : 1005
Real First Name : Lisa (Lise)
Warning :

House : slytherin
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:19

Lisa is English/American meaning bright!

Lise is Hebrew meaning my God is a vow
Back to top Go down
skuldandy
3rd Year
3rd Year
skuldandy

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_p12
Regist. date : 2006-02-26
Number of posts : 3442
Real First Name : skully!
Warning :

House : Gryffies! <3
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:28

I remember seeing that my name (Carolina) meant a song, a melody, or something like that XD
Back to top Go down
Amy
Amy

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Nov 21 2006, 14:37

Here's you skully:

Quote :
CAROLINA

Usage: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, English

Pronounced: kahr-o-LEE-nah (Italian, Spanish), KER-o-lien-a (English) [key]
Latinate feminine form of CAROLUS. This is the name of two American states: North and South Carolina. They were named for Charles I, king of England.

Quote :
CAROLUS

Usage: Ancient Germanic (Latinized)
Latin form of CHARLES

Quote :
CHARLES

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: CHAHR-ulz (English), SHARL (French) [key]
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior". The most noteworthy bearer of this name was Charles the Great, commonly known as Charlemagne, a king of the Franks who came to rule over most of Europe. Several Holy Roman Emperors bore this name, as well as kings of England, France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. Other famous bearers include naturalist Charles Darwin who revolutionized biology with his theory of evolution, and novelist Charles Dickens who wrote such works as 'Great Expectations' and 'A Tale of Two Cities'.
Back to top Go down
Dances With Wolves
1st Year
1st Year
Dances With Wolves

Male
Regist. date : 2006-08-28
Number of posts : 48
Real First Name : KIERAN
Warning :

House : SLYTHERIN
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyWed Nov 22 2006, 03:21

Kieran is gaelic and I think it means dark something!
Back to top Go down
Caroru
HE Owl
HE Owl
Caroru

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_f12
Number of posts : 15490
Real First Name : Caro
Warning :

Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue70 / 70070 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyWed Nov 22 2006, 06:28

"Carola: Strong. A feminine form of Charles which originated in the 17th century."

Psssssh.. :D
Back to top Go down
MarieC
2nd Year
2nd Year
MarieC

Female
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyWed Nov 22 2006, 06:31

lol Amy, isn't behindthename a nice site? :P
Back to top Go down
Dancingsunset
1st Year
1st Year
Dancingsunset

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-03
Number of posts : 8545
Location : Stuck in Octoberland with my amazing husband Anthony
Real First Name : Schizo-Dani and Eryn
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff don't judge us we're still badgers grrr...
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue5 / 7005 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyWed Nov 22 2006, 14:01

LOL Hi Marie the christan sea of bitterness,
Back to top Go down
SheBleedsBlack_xx
1st Year
1st Year
SheBleedsBlack_xx

Female
Regist. date : 2006-11-22
Number of posts : 67
Real First Name : Emma or Emmy
Warning :

House : Slytherin! We're better than you and we know it!
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Nov 23 2006, 06:35

"Whole" and "Universal" Ok I have no idea what thats supposed to mean I just hope its good. I love my name, its so kool! Too bad theres like 4 other Emmas on this site. How dare they steal my name :suspect:
Back to top Go down
Algebra_Geek5
1st Year
1st Year

Female
Number of posts : 2174
Real First Name : Emma
Warning :

House : GRYFFINDOR!!!!!!!
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Nov 23 2006, 09:25

XD Well if it makes you feel better other Emma...only people online call me by my real first name. Everyone irl calls me by my middle name, Bailey.:D Just because I can't stand the name "Emma" it's used way too much. The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937
Back to top Go down
midnightamethyst
1st Year
1st Year
midnightamethyst

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-08
Number of posts : 70
Location : Being the Official Marshmallow Provider for Slytherin!
Warning :

House : Slytherin
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Dec 04 2006, 12:33

Hah, mine's a character from Lord of the Rings - no, it isn't Arwen or Galadriel - and it means "Sun Star". I guess everyone can figure it out now The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937
My middle name is Rose. Ooh, I wonder what that means?

::purr::
Back to top Go down
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 5236
Real First Name : Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
Warning :

House : Gryffindor Girlie
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue53 / 70053 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyFri Dec 08 2006, 15:37

well actually, Katie is just my nickname noone actually calls me by my first name excpet my grandma and she uses my first and middle it means pure, can u guess what it is
Back to top Go down
Vicky_Weasley
1st Year
1st Year
Vicky_Weasley

Female
Regist. date : 2007-01-18
Number of posts : 315
Real First Name : VICTORIA
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySun Mar 04 2007, 16:13

My first name means Victory in Latin, cuz my name is Victoria!
Back to top Go down
bright eyes
1st Year
1st Year
bright eyes

Female
Regist. date : 2006-08-28
Number of posts : 136
Real First Name : catherine
Warning :

Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyTue Apr 10 2007, 13:40

My first name is Greek and means pure
Back to top Go down
skatinglils
1st Year
1st Year
skatinglils

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-01
Number of posts : 853
Real First Name : Lily
Warning :

Crest : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Ravenc10
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue10 / 70010 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySat Apr 14 2007, 18:24

well lily is a flower
...but i guess that's kind of obvious
Back to top Go down
stephy
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
stephy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-06-03
Number of posts : 30328
Real First Name : Stephanie, Polly calls me Stephums, Kim calls me Steffie and among others Im either mommy or granny
Warning :

House : ravenclaw
Wand : Walnut & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue85 / 70085 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySat Apr 21 2007, 20:55

i dont know what my name stands for my grandma once tried to tell me but i zoned out lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/oddie_faneenala
Legendary
1st Year
1st Year
Legendary

Male
Regist. date : 2007-01-24
Number of posts : 1218
Real First Name : Anthony
Warning :

Wand : Cherry and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySat Apr 21 2007, 23:43

My name is of latin origin and means unknown
Back to top Go down
Rigby Dumbledore
3rd Year
3rd Year
Rigby Dumbledore

Female
Regist. date : 2007-01-30
Number of posts : 4801
Real First Name : Kate or Katie
Warning :

Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue102 / 700102 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySun Apr 22 2007, 00:03

Kathleen means Pure, and my middle name means Laurel.
Back to top Go down
http://midnightbookgirl.com
polly
3rd Year
3rd Year
polly

Female
Regist. date : 2006-03-12
Number of posts : 10718
Real First Name : Polly
Warning :

House : Ravenclaw!
Wand : Hawthorn and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue11 / 70011 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Dec 06 2007, 09:47

Polly: The name Polly is an adaptation of the name Mary so, [Hebrew] 'Bitterness' although although hebrew in its orgin has become one of the most consistently popular names for girls since the Christian era.

Source: The modern Book of Baby Names by Hilary Spence
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Regist. date : 2007-08-11
Number of posts : 4857
Real First Name : Katherine
Warning :

House : slytherin.
Crest : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Slythe10
Wand : Willow and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue16 / 70016 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Dec 06 2007, 14:15

My first name means... ahh, theres a lot...
Quote :
From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.
The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. Another saint by this name was Catherine of Siena, a 14th-century mystic. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.
so it could mean pure... or torture? haha, thats werid
Back to top Go down
http://z11.invisionfree.com/rpg_underground
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year
KatieBellaTrix

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 5236
Real First Name : Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
Warning :

House : Gryffindor Girlie
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue53 / 70053 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Dec 06 2007, 14:32

Kate- my name is Kathleen too, but everyone has called me Katie since forever.....lol, it means pure
Back to top Go down
kathrineee_anne
5th Year
5th Year
kathrineee_anne

Female
Regist. date : 2007-08-11
Number of posts : 4857
Real First Name : Katherine
Warning :

House : slytherin.
Wand : Willow and Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue16 / 70016 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Dec 06 2007, 15:10

ok.. thanks! haha, that whole thing had just confused me XD
Back to top Go down
http://z11.invisionfree.com/rpg_underground
SlytherinPride7
1st Year
1st Year
SlytherinPride7

Female
Regist. date : 2007-10-06
Number of posts : 2847
Real First Name : Kaylee
Warning :

House : Slytherin - The Banana In The Muffin :)
Wand : Yew & Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue45 / 70045 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyThu Dec 06 2007, 16:00

We'll I technically have two first names (parents couldn't decide which one to call me so they compromised and named me both, go figure.)

But I think for confusions sake I'll just get the definition for the one I go by xD

Kaylee: Variant of Katherine. 'Pure. ' Variant of Kay and Kayla 'keeper of the keys; pure. The origin of the name Kaylee is American, and the meaning is closely related to the name Chaeli - Which translates into Who is Like God. It is also closely related to Kelly which stands for - Strong One, Warrior or War.

Strange, so it means Pure, Keeper of the Keys, Who is Like God & Strong One or Warrior. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://stupidm-f.livejournal.com/
ag167
1st Year
1st Year
ag167

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_n14
Regist. date : 2007-08-04
Number of posts : 7642
Real First Name : Amy (AG)
Warning :

House : Slytherin
Wand : Holly and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue10 / 70010 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptySun Dec 16 2007, 03:32

Amy

Meaning: Beloved. Also a nickname from Amelia.

Origin: Old French

Alternatives: Aimee, Aimee (French), Amata (Italian, Spanish), Ami, Amia, An-lie.

Nicknames: - (i'll do this one ) AG

~AG
Back to top Go down
Elana
5th Year
5th Year
Elana

Female
Regist. date : 2006-04-16
Number of posts : 7562
Real First Name : Elana
Warning :

House : RAVENCLAW!
Wand : Willow and Unicorn Tail Hair
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue93 / 70093 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyMon Apr 07 2008, 16:46

Well, apparently Samantha means...

Quote :
Origin and Meaning of the Name Samantha

---
Origin: Aramaic
Meaning: Listener
---
Origin: English
Meaning: Listener
---
Pronunciation: (sah MAN tha)
---
Form of: Samuel

And then I had to look up Elana, hehehe:

Quote :
Origin and Meaning of the Name Elana

---
Origin: Greek
Meaning: Torch; bright light
---
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: Tree
---
Pronunciation: (ee LAH nah)
---
Form of: Ilana

So...I'm a listening Aramaic/Greek/English/Hebrew glowing tree XD

(courtesy of http://www.babynamesworld.com/ The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name 436937)
Back to top Go down
http://theunlockedcloset.moonfruit.com/
harry_potter_rules_27
1st Year
1st Year
harry_potter_rules_27

Female
Country : The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Flag_e13
Regist. date : 2008-02-07
Number of posts : 619
Real First Name : Kate
Warning :

House : Hufflepuff!
Award Bar :
The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Left_bar_bleue15 / 70015 / 700The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name EmptyWed Apr 09 2008, 07:42

I think my name means 'Pure'.
Back to top Go down
http://newlife.heavenforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name   The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name Empty

Back to top Go down

The Origins and Meanings of Your First Name
Page 1 of 1