Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Hufflepuff: 20,650 HP
Ravenclaw: 2,966 HP
Slytherin: 1,788 HP
Gryffindor: 1,511 HP

ShoutBox
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House
Gryffindor: TBA
Ravenclaw: TBA
Hufflepuff: TBA
Slytherin: TBA

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2017 - February 2018)
NatalieSS

TBA
Prefects
(February 2015 - February2016)
TBA
Classes
Ancient Runes
Professor: TBA

Arithmancy
Professor: amberg93

Charms
Professor: Sashi

Flying Lessons

Healer Studies

Herbology

Mythology

Professor: amortentia773

Potions

Transfiguration
HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» Norse God of the Week (7)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:57

» Norse God of the Week (6)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Tue Oct 01 2019, 12:22

» Creature Chronicles: NatalieSS
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby NatalieSS Tue Sep 24 2019, 09:52

» Norse God of the Week (5)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 12:09

» Sorting Request Post
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:50

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

» Norse God of the Week (4)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:47

» Norse God of the Week (3)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:43

» Norse God of the Week (2)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:41

» Heroes and the Twelve Olympians
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:37

» Being of the Moment 3: Greek Mythology
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 05:27

» Lair of the Sphinx (5)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:43

» Lair of the Sphinx (3)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:33

» Lair of the Sphinx (4)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:27

» [TOURNAMENTS]: Year 12 - Instructions & Sign-ups & Round Requests
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:03

» [DEBATES TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Tea or Coffee?
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby NatalieSS Wed Sep 18 2019, 14:00

» Egyptian God of the Week (1)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:56

» Norse God of the Week (1)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:46

» Greek Mythology Crossword
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:30

» Mythology Quotes II: Fallen Puzzle
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 12:26

» Mythology Quotes I: Fallen Puzzle
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:16

» What Mythological Creature Are You?
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 15 2019, 10:04

» General House Common Room Part 24
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sat Aug 10 2019, 10:18

» CoMC Double Puzzle I
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby avablacky Sat Dec 16 2017, 14:05

» Students Workload - Report Here
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:09

» Toy Maker Badge
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby avablacky Tue Dec 12 2017, 23:02

» What Are You Wearing Right Now?
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby LoveLucifer Tue Dec 12 2017, 18:06

» Graphics-a-holic Record - Year 12
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:44

» [ICONS TOURNAMENT]: Year 12 - Round 1 - Life Through a Window
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Sashi Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:34

» Readings from beyond #1
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby AlabastorCrowley Tue Sep 19 2017, 17:32

» WAND EXAMINATIONS (1st Years and above sign up here)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:57

» Constellations
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:35

» Colors of Stars
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 13:10

» Norse God of the Week (8)
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby RedundantBadger Tue Sep 19 2017, 08:04

» Vault 25 - PetraHvězda
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:22

» Vault 24 - Adora Shadow
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:20

» Vault 23 - ctemple
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:18

» Vault 22 - Nixie_B_Dover
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:16

» Vault 21 - STRAWBERRY MANGO
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:11

» Vault 20 - NatalieSS
Cryptozoology: Part I Emptyby Raistlin The Wizard Sun Sep 17 2017, 13:07

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Year 9 (Full Year)
Year 10 (Full Year)
Year 11 (Full Year)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Hufflepuff
Recent Exam Passes
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class E: History of the Planets
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class B: Astronomy Today
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class A: Observation Astronomy
amortentia773
Astronomy OWL - Class C: Galaxy quest
amortentia773
Level 5 : Animagus Transformation
amortentia773
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
amortentia773
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
lease vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academy
wands at the ready
HOS
Potter's Army
FIGHT LIKE GODSCryptozoology: Part I Mhbutton
GRAPHICS GAMES

Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Cryptozoology: Part I

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 6274
Real First Name : Nancy
Warning :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

House : Slytherin - Where I have always belonged
Crest : Cryptozoology: Part I Slythe10
Wand : Exam not taken
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue3 / 7003 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

Cryptozoology: Part I Empty
PostSubject: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptySat Jan 26 2008, 16:54

Cryptozoology Part I

Cryptozoology: "The study of Hidden Animals" - is the study of/search for animals which fall outside of contemporary zoological catalogs. It consists of two primary fields of research.

1) The search for living examples of animals taxonomically identified through fossil records, but which are believed to be extinct.

2) The search for animals that fall outside of taxonomic records due to a lack of empirical evidence, but for which anecdotal evidence exists in the form of myths, legends, or unconfirmed sightings.

Those involved in Cryptozoological study are known as cryptozoologists; the animals that they study are often referred to as "cryptids", a term coined by John Wall in 1983.

There are many people among us who think a few of these creatures actually exist though there is not stable enough evidence. What I would like you to do for this assignment is to choost two creatures off of the list below and write an essay about them. What they are said to look like, act like, where they are "supposed" to be located... anything you can think of to add to your essay. I'd like a minimum of 300 words for each creature and as always, the more in depth and detailed you are, the better your mark will be.

Bigfoot
Mothman
Yeti
Yowie
Yeren
Jersey Devil
Chupacabras
Loch Ness Monster

This assignment can earn you a total of 100 points! This class will be graded periodically. Please site all sources in your post. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Just_Ginny
1st Year
1st Year
Just_Ginny

Female
Regist. date : 2006-02-26
Number of posts : 10804
Real First Name : Rachel
Warning :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue0 / 30 / 3Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

House : Hufflepuff! HUFF PUFF BADGERS FOR THE WIN!
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue25 / 70025 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptySat Feb 16 2008, 09:50

Crypto Zoology Part I

Crypto zoology: "The study of Hidden Animals" - is the study of/search for animals which fall outside of contemporary zoological catalogs. It consists of two primary fields of research.

1) The search for living examples of animals taxonomically identified through fossil records, but which are believed to be extinct.

2) The search for animals that fall outside of taxonomic records due to a lack of empirical evidence, but for which anecdotal evidence exists in the form of myths, legends, or unconfirmed sightings.

Those involved in Crypto zoological study are known as crypto zoologists; the animals that they study are often referred to as "cryptids", a term coined by John Wall in 1983.

There are many people among us who think a few of these creatures actually exist though there is not stable enough evidence. What I would like you to do for this assignment is to choose two creatures off of the list below and write an essay about them. What they are said to look like, act like, where they are "supposed" to be located... anything you can think of to add to your essay. I'd like a minimum of 200 words for each creature and as always, the more in depth and detailed you are, the better your mark will be.

Bigfoot
Mothman
Yeti
Yowie
Yeren
Jersey Devil
Chupacabras
Loch Ness Monster

This assignment can earn you a total of 50 points and I will award an extra 5 for the best one!!

Please site all sources in your post.

Big Foot

Let’s start with Big Foot, shall we? Big Foot is also known as Sasquatch, and is said to inhabit areas surrounding the Pacific Northwest of the US. Big Foot is generally described as “large, hairy bipedal hominoid”. It is probably either “related” to, or of the same species of creatures such as the Yeti, Yeren, and Yowie. The earliest reports of a “gigantic ape-like creature” in the Pacific Northwest that has characterized Big Foot in the public’s mind came in around 1924, but some claim occurred as early as the 1860s. And the one of the first Bigfoot sightings ever was reported by explorer David Thompson. (Unfortunately, this report does not add much to the Big Foot cause) What really got this phenomenon going, however, was the discovery of Big Foot footprints in 1958, which ended up giving the creature its name.

But, skeptics are quick to poke holes in the Big Foot story, due to things such as conflicting climates that should be appropriate for a large human-ape creature, the lack of bodies or fossils that show that the creatures have ever existed, and the sheer number of hoaxes that have made them uninterested in a sort of “Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf” manner.

There is not too much concrete data that has been considered reliable concerning Big Foot, due to people’s-muggle and wizard alike-eagnerness to be the ones who found actual proof.

However, this data can get rather specific. Big Foot is from 7 to 10 feet tall, and its hair-which covers its entire body-is usually dark brown or dark reddish in color. From photographs and eyewitness accounts, it would seem as though Big Foot has little to no neck, with a head that “sits directly upon the shoulders”. Other accounts have depicted large eyes, a pronounced brow ridge, and a large, low-set forehead. The head is said to be rounded and crested at the top, similar to that of a male gorilla. As for behavior, since no one has been claimed to have been mauled by a Big Foot, I assume that they are peaceful creatures who merely want to live where they have been living without interruption. They probably are omnivores, and I believe would live solitarily after a certain age, since no “packs” of Big Foot (Feet?) have been reported.

There are various creatures that have been suggested as possible candidates for the true identity of Big Foot. As with most of the data surrounding this interesting creature, it is not considered reliable by the Scientifiic Muggle community. One of the more well-known theories is that of Grover Krantz, and then supported by Geoffrey Bourne, who suggests that an animal called Gigantopithecus blacki, which is supposedly extinct, has actually lived on in secret and has become known as Big Foot. Unfortunately for Krantz and Bourne, there are many flaws with this theory, such as the fact that G. Blacki walked on four legs, and was much too large to adapt the gait Big Foot is said to possess. Another theory was put forth by Napier and anthropologist Gorden Strasenberg is known as Paranthropus robustus . This creature had the gait and crested skull that Big Foot has become associated with. Some reports have also pondered that Homo Erectus, an early type of humanoid creature thought to be extinct like G. Blacki could be Big Foot’s species. However, no H. Erectus skeletons have been found in North America. Finally, a very little known genus called Meganthropus has been mentioned as Big Foot’s identity. It certainly grew to gigantic proportions, but there have been no remains found in North America.

But don’t think all those in the scientific community, or who work closely to it, are anti Big Foot. Jane Goodall has expressed beliefs that the definitely exist, due to the stories she’s heard and people she’s known. The late prominent anthropologist Carleston S. Coon even wrote a book on the subject.

Part of the reason that the idea that such a creature could exist is the fault of the numerous hoaxes people have set up. One of these is the “Jacko” affair of 1884, when a newspaper published that an “apelike creature” had been captured in British Columbia. Another is Ray Wallace, who became very disliked in the world of Big Foot for his outlandish claims, who is said to have faked a set of very famous Big Foot prints, among other Big Foot evidence items.

Out of all of the animals above, Bigfoot probably is one of the more famous, and is most likely tied with the creature that I will discuss shortly (the Loch Ness Monster). It is also one of the more mysterious, as almost every time some new information comes up, it is disproved. Maybe I’ll have to go and capture one…extra credit, Professor? Cryptozoology: Part I Devil

The Loch Ness Monster

In the deep lakes of Loch Ness, lurks a creature who any local would be glad to give you information about. The “Nessie” craze started around 1933, and has waxed and waned since then. Like Big Foot, the evidence for Nessie relies mainly on stories told by the relatives of or people who saw the creature, and the photographical and sonar evidence is minimal, and widely not trusted. Also like in Big Foot’s case, there have been no remains, capture, or definitive samples of any kind to prove the creature’s existence.

May 2nd, 1933 was the day the public was first alerted to the possibility of something living in Loch Ness. The first photographic evidence of Nessie ever published was Hugh Gray’s photograph taken December 6th, 1933. After the publication of this photo, police were ordered to prevent any attacks on this newly discovered creature. Another well-known photo was published in 1934, “The Surgeon’s Photograph”, but it was later revealed as a hoax. In that same year, R. T. Gould published a book which contained his findings. Consequent investigations have weaved a confusing myriad of data, which can put sightings as early as the 6th century AD to the present, which could mean that there is some truth to these legends.
One of the most popular types of evidence that emerge regarding Nessie is the photograph. In the 1990s, there were about ten photographs being submitted a year. This has since declined to about three per year, but the fact remains that the “evidence” keeps pouring in. As stated before, the Surgeon’s Photograph was once the most popular bit of Nessie evidence. Unfortunately, it was proved to be a hoax. However, there are other photographic and film evidence as well. The Taylor film from 1938 was made by a South African tourist, and given to a Dr. Maurice Burton. He didn’t want to show the film to Loch Ness investigators, causing doubts to its authenticity, however, a single frame was published in the book The Elusive Monster, and Dr. Roy P. Mackal, a biologist and cryptozoologist declared the frame to be “positive evidence”. The most recent film evidence of Nessie is from 2007. Gordon Holmes, a lab technician, filmed “this jet black thing, about 45 feet long, moving fairly fast in the water” on May 26th, 2007. Adrian Shine, a marine biologist who works with the Loch Ness 2000 center, plans to spend time analyzing the film, but has already declared it “some of the best evidence he has ever seen”. Unfortunately, Holmes’ evidence is doubted, but maybe Shine shall be able to prove them wrong. But that doesn’t mean that witness sightings aren’t hugely popular as well. The earliest sighting was in 565, by Saint Columbia, who apparently saved the life of a Pict from what people believe to be the Loch Ness Monster. Sonar is also a method used to try and find Nessie. In the 1950s, specifically December, 1954, the crew onboard the fishing boat Rival III observed sonar readings of a large creature keeping up with the ship and was 480 feet below the water.

Obviously, there have been numerous attempts to try and capture Nessie. From 1967-1968, the LNPIB sonar study took place. During this investigation, a sonar “net” that would capture any movement that went through it, was cast throughout the loch. During the study, several objects about 20 feet in length were found. However, this study ruled out any types of “air-breathers” because the creatures never surfaced for water, nor moved shallower than mid-water. Submersible investigations have also taken place. On June 1st, 1969, Dan Taylor (sponsored by World Book Encyclopedia) deployed the Viperfish. Unfortunately, the dive was plagued by technical problems and did not produce any data. But, the submersible was not a total waste. It was rented out to make a Sherlock Holmes film, and when the fake film-Nessie sunk to the bottom, the crew decided to let the submersible do a little exploring. It actually ended up catching something, a large moving object, 200 feet away from it and 50 feet above the bottom of the loch. However, when it tried to close the distance, but the echo moved out of sonar range and disappeared. Roy Mackal’s “hydrophones” (underwater microphones) of 1970, recovered “knocks, clicks, chirps, and swishing” noises, which were said to sound like an animal using echolocation before “swishing” a powerful tail and going in for the kill. The noise was found to decrease as the craft carrying the hydrophones approached, and then resume when it was a safe distance away. Attempts to communicate with the creature brought varied results, but the fact that these noises were known to not be made by any sort of creature known to inhabit the loch. Nessie, perhaps? Robert H Rines made investigations in 1972, 1975, and 2001, that produced photographs that have been disputed from day one. A flipper photo was dismissed as “air bubbles”, but it ended up giving Nessie an official name: Nessiteras rhombopteryx. But some of these photographs, despite their murky qualities, appeared to be of a creature resembling a plesiosaurus. In 1993, Discovery Communications accidentally discovered three anomalous sonar disturbances, which were followed by powerful wakes. This discovery was shown on the film program Loch Ness Discovered. The most recent expedition is the GUST Expedition of 2001. It is, however, considered highly controversial, but did find one small sonar contact, and a disturbance on film.

As with Big Foot, there have been many types of explanations put forth as to what exactly is in Loch Ness. Some say it may be a large species of an unknown animal, such as the supposed-extinct plesiosaurus, a long-necked seal, an eel, an amphibian, or invertebrate. Of course, many arguments have been put against these ideas. But those arguments are nothing compared to those who wish to believe that nothing supernatural, such as a kelpie, or some other animal with “psychic powers” (to hinder investigations), or even UFO contact, to describe what’s going on in the lake. For those narrow minded people, Nessie could just be a “mistake of identification”, and that all evidence could just be of resident animals, birds, or travelling circuses allowing elephants to cool off in the loch (I’m not kidding). The evidence could also be attributed to inanimate objects, like trees, seiches (a large, regular oscillation of the lake) or wakes (like those caused by a boat). Optical effects (mountain reflections) in the water and even seismic gas have been put forth as reasons for the evidence that has been attributed to Nessie. And of course, there are the ever-popular idea that everything is simply a hoax to bring in tourists.

So, Nessie, that large plesiosaur-like creature, probably, like Big Foot, simply wants peace and quiet in its home of the Loch. However, I doubt we humans-wizards, witches, and muggles alike-will be willing to give it to her. Expedition, ho!

Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_ness_monster
Back to top Go down
http://charmedchildren.proboards51.com
torren_grace
1st Year
1st Year
torren_grace

Female
Regist. date : 2008-02-17
Number of posts : 478
Real First Name : lizz
Warning :

House : Gryffindor
Crest : Cryptozoology: Part I Gryffi10
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue0 / 7000 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptySat Feb 23 2008, 09:57

jersey devil:

the jersey devil is often also reffered to as the leeds devil. it began in the 18th century when a woman by the
name of debora smith came over from egland. she immagrated to pine barrens, south new jersey to marry mr. leeds. mr. leeds wanted to have many heirs to carry on the family name. his new wife was continually pregnant. she had twelve healthy children, but pregnant with her thirteenth she put a curse upon the child. she declared to prefer to have the devil's child, rather than another one of mr. leeds's. her wish came true, the newborn had cloven hooves, claws, and a tail. the child then proceeded to eat the other twelve children and the parents. it then escaped through the chimney(there are also serveral other variations of this). the devil is said to reside in the blue hole near winslow, new jersey, which is thought not only to be bottomless, but that it also serves as one of many gateways to hell. the water in the hole is abnormally cold all year round. the hole is also said to have a whirlpool effect on the people that enter it. it also has crystal clear water, unlike many of the surrounding rivers and lakes in the region. there are many discriptions of the creature such as: "it was three feet high... long black hair over its entire body, arms and hands like a monkey, face like a dog, split hooves [...] and a tail a foot long". — george snyder, moorestown, nj. sighted on january 20, 1909, "in general appearance it resembled a giraffe... it has a long neck and from what glimpse i got of its head its features are hideous. it has wings of a fairly good size and of course in the darkness looked black. its legs are long and somewhat slender and were held in just such a position as a swan's when it is flying...it looked to be about four feet high". — lewis boeger, haddon heights, nj. sighted on january 21, 1909, and "it was 8 feet high, with glowing red eyes and a long spiked tongue. i reckoned that i was brown bread when it took flight and zipped towards me as quick as a pecker". — jersey devil victim kevin fanning on february 28, 1909. some possible origins date back to native american foklore, the lenni lenape tribe called the area around pine barrens "popuessing." this term translates to "place of the dragon." swedish explorers later names it "drake kill". "dake" which meaning "dragon" and "kill" channel or arm of the sea (river, stream, etc.). skeptics believe the jersey devil was just a creative manifestation of english settlers. pine barrens, was shunned by most settlers as a desolate and threatening place. they were a natural refuge for people that wanted to remain hidden. the people were often referred to as "pineys", it is thought that many tales of terrible monsters came from a combination of genuine sightings of natural animals like bears, the activities of pineys, and the fear of the barrens. tom brown jr., an outdoorsman and author, who spent many seasons living in the pines barrens said that many terrified hikers mistook him for the jersey devil, after he had covered his whole body in mud to repel misquitoes. people have reported sightings of the jersey devil from precolonial times to present day, as there are still repoted sightings within the new jersey area. many comtemporary theorists believe that the jersey devil is possibly a rare, unclassified species which instictually fears and attemps to avoid humans. this theory is supported by the witnesses accounts of its appearance (horselike head, long neck and tail, leathery wings, cloven hooves, blood-curdling scream), the only variables seeming to be the height and color. another factor that supports the theory is that it is more likely that a species, rather than a sigle creature would endure for several hundreds of years. still others believe that the sandhill crane is the basis of the jersey devil stories. the jersey devil has been blamed for serveral livestock killings, in 1840, and similar attacks in 1841, that were accompanied by strange tracks and unearthly screams. it was also said to have been sighted in 1887 near a house. it terrified one of the children. soon after it was said to be sighted in the woods, and was shot in the wing, but the creature kept on flying. joseph bonaparte, napoleon's eldest brother is said to have witnessed the jersey devil while hunting on his estate in bordentown, new jersey around 1820. however in january of 1909, thousands of people claimed to witness the jersey devil the week of january 16-23, making it the most frenetic period of devil sightings ever recorded. some sightings include: 16th(saturday) — sighted flying over Woodbury. 17th(sunday) — in bristol, pennsylvania, several sitings were made of the creature and tracks were found in the snow the next day. 18th(monday) — burlington was covered by odd tracks; some were found on rooftops, others started and stopped abruptly having apparent origin or destination. similar footprints were found in several other towns as well. 19th(tuesday) — nelson evans and his wife, of gloucester, allegedly saw the jersey devil outside their window at around 2:30am. evans gave a descriptive account as follows: "it was about eight feet and a half high, with a head like a collie dog and a face like a horse. it had a long neck, wings about two feet long, and its back legs were like those of a crane, and it had horse's hooves. it walked on its back legs and held up two short front legs with paws on them. It didn't use the front legs at all while we were watching. my wife and i were scared, i tell you, but i managed to open the window and say,'shoo!' and it turned around, barked at me, and flew away." and two gloucester hunters tracked the its trail for twenty miles. the trail seemed to "jump" fences and squeeze under eight-inch gaps. similar trails were reported in other towns. 20th(wednesday) — in haddonfield and collingswood, groups were formed to find the creature. they were said to have watched it fly toward moorestown, where it was seen by at least two other people.21st(thursday) — the devil reportedly attacked a trolley car in haddon heights, but was then chased off. several poultry farmers found their chickens dead. it also collided with an electric rail in clayton, but was not killed. a telegraph worker near atlantic city was said to have shot the it, and then watched it limp into the woods. the creature didn't seem fazed as it continued the rampage through philadelphia and west collingswood(where it was hosed by the fire department). the devil then attacked nearby people, who threw any available objects at it. the creature then flew away -- and reemerged in camden to injure a dog. it ripped a chunk of flesh from the dogs cheek before the owner drove the creature away. this was to be the first reported devil attack on a living creature. 22nd(friday) — this was the last day of sightings. towns were panic stricken, with many businesses and schools closed. the creature was seen only a few times and did not attack. it was during that period that the philidelphia zoo posted a one million dollar reward for captring the creature, which prompted hoaxes such as a kangaroo with artificial wings. the reward remains available to this day. since the week of terror, there have also been several other sightings but they were much less freqent. in 1951, local boys in gibbstown, new jersey caused a panic in the town after claiming to have seen a screaming humanoid monster. in 1991, a pizza delivery driver described s night encounter with a white, horse-like creature in edison, new jersey. in freehold new jersey, a woman claimed to have seen a huge creature with bat-like wings close to her home in 2007. later that year in august, a young man near the border of mount laurel and moorestown, was driving home and he reportedly saw a "gargoyle-like creature with partially spread bat wings" that was perching in some trees near the road. and in litchfield, pennslyvania it was spotted as recently as january 23rd, 2008. a man, said that the creature came flying out of the roof of his barn. there was a bizarre rotting corpse, which vaguely matched the discription of the jersey devil. it was found in 1957 and lead many people to believe that the creature had died, but there have been many sittings of it since then.

chupacabras:

rumored to inhabit the americas, it is more commonly associated with an unknown animal sighted in puerto rico (where it is said to have first been sighted, mexico, and mainly latin american communities of the u.s. it's name comes from its attacking and drinking the blood of life stocks, most often goats. pysical discriptions are vareid. sightings have been claimed since as early as the 1990s in puerto rico. since then it has been claimed to have been sighted as far north as maine and as far south as chile. it is said to be a very heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail. the first attacks reported happen in march of 1995 in puerto rico. eight sheep were killed, each had three punture wounds in the chest and were bled dry. in 1975, there were similar murders of livestock in the little town of moca, the were attributed to el vampiro de moca, or the vampire of moca. it was believed initially that the murders were done by members of a satanic cult. then reports of similar killings were coming from all around the island. a puerto rican entreprenuer and comedian, silverio perez, soon after the first attacks were reported is said to have coined the term "chupacabras." shortly after the reports in puerto rico, countries such as dominican republic, argentina, bolivia, chile, colombia, honduras, el salvador, nicaragua, panama, peru, brazil, the united states and mexico started reporting other deaths of livestock. in july of 2004, a hairless dogl-ike creatre that was killing livestock was killed near a ranch in san antonio, it was originally called the elmendorf beast. later dna analysis showed that it was nothing more than a cyote suffering from demodectic or sarcoptic mange. two more cases were reported in the area in october, and again it was found that they were cyotes with severe cases of mange. a farmer in coleman, texas, caught and animal said to look like a mix of a hairless dog, a rat, and a kangaroo, in a trap set up to stop whatever was killing his chickens and turkeys. he sent it to texas parks and wildlife officials to identify it, but in a provided phone interview with lost world museum founder, john adolfi, it is said that the "critter was caught on a tuesday and thrown out in thursday's trash." it was reported in mosnew, the first sighting of a chupacabara in russia, in april of 2006. reports started in central russia in march or 2005 that told of a beast that kills animals and sucks out their blood. it is said that thirty-two turkeys were killed and drained in one overnight period. later reports came from other neighboring villages when thirty sheep were killed and drained. then finally eyewitnesses were able to describe the creature and in may of 2006, experts were determined to hunt it down. in turner, maine in mid-august of 2006, michelle o'donnell described an evil looking rodent-like animal that had fangs, had been found dead alongside the road. the animal had been appearantly struck by a car, and was unidentifiable. a photo was taken and witnesses said it was canine in appearance, but widely published photos seemed unlike any other dog or wolf in the area. residents of maine have reported sightings of strange creatures and dog maulings, for years. in the region of boyaca, national colombia news reported three hundred sheep dead in may 2007 and a possible specimen to be analyzed by zoologists at the universidad nacional of colombia. in august 2007, phylis canion found three animals in cuero, texas. her and her neighbors sent the carcasses to state mammologist john young, after connecting the creatures to the legend of the chupacabara after reporting thirty chickens being exsanguinated over a period of years. john young, the state mammologist, estimated that the animal was a grey fox suffering from an extreme case of mange. in november 2007, at the texas state university-san marcos, a biologist used dna samples of the suspicious creature and determined that it was only a cyote. the most common discription of the chupacabara is a reptile-like creature appearing to have leathery or scaly greenish-gray and shapr spines, or possibly quills, running down its back. it is said to be about three to four feet tall, and stands and hops in the same way a kangaroo does. it is said in one sighting at least to have jumped twenty feet in the air. it is said to have a dog, or sometimes a panther-like face and nose, large fangs and a forked tongue. it has been reported that it hisses and screeches when alarmed and can leave behind a sulfuric stench. some have reported that when it screeches, it's eyes glow an unusual red that gives the witnesses nausea, and some people have even reported seeing bat-like wings. another description, which isn't quite as common, is that it looks like a strange breed of wild dog and is primarily hairless. it has a pronunce spinal ridge, fangs, claws, and unusually pronounced eye sockets. it is thought that this breed could be a dog-like reptile. the corpse of one found in leon, nicaragua at unan-leon and is said to be of this genus. at the university, pathologists found that it was a dog-like creature of unknown species. unlike most conventional predators we think of, the chupacabara usually drains out all of the animals blood, and sometimes its organs through one or two holes.

sources:

jersey devil
chupacabara
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/expectingthistolast
violetriddle
5th Year
5th Year
violetriddle

Female
Regist. date : 2008-02-14
Number of posts : 35370
Real First Name : Lesley
Warning :

House : The Wonderful House of Salazar Slytherin
Wand : Walnut & Dragon Heartstring
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue203 / 700203 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptyMon Feb 25 2008, 00:20

Mothman

On November 15, 1966, two young couples claim to see something with glowing red-eyes on a bridge in West Virginia. This man is known as Mothman. Standing at six-feet tall, most people claim that this man like creature had glowing red eyes and moth- like wings. Many people don’t believe this, but is possible that Mothman is alive and walking among us? The couple who seen this “man like beast” claim that later that night, the kept seeing him everywhere they turned at their houses. They also claim that he could fly, which, if true, would be very impossible for a human. So we must consider this “thing” an “animal like begin”. When they couple told these people about him, no one believed them until a couple decided to check houses around there. Spotting nothing, they decided to go back to their car until they caw something, gray like and large, rise from the ground. According to them, he had to be lying under the car for them not to see him. They also said that while phoning the police, the creature kept looking in on them. The only answer is as to how he became this “monster” is that, seeing as there was a TNT plant near where this all accrued, must of gotten into some toxic waste. But, while watching this on a TV show called Mystery Hunters, a man who just happen to work there said nothing like that has ever happen and to prove it, we have this duck egg. This egg just happens to be ready to hatch. If this works, the duck should come out, deformed. The man threw the egg in the toxic waster and just seconds later, the egg hatched. The duck came out normal, but died several hours later due to poison and toxic waste in his lungs. So according to that “experiment” the Mothman would have died if he had touched the stuff and got it in his lungs. Just because an animal reacted different doesn’t mean this “man” was like it. There have been more sightings, like couples seeing him fly over the TNT building or a man seeing him in a field and flew along side him as he was going to the police office. Seeing as all this happens in West Virginia, I am assuming that this “monster” is or was living in this state. Sandhill, who doesn’t believe in any of this, tried to pass is off as an overly- large barn white barn owl. Hey Mr. Sandhill if that is true, why is it gray, not white? Is probley a question asked many time during this time. If this is true, why would it walk up on people’s porches and peer in their windows? The man saw him in day light and it happens to be an owl. Personally, I believe in this “man like beast.” For reason unknown. I just believe that he was or still is out there waiting for his next victim to scare.

Sources: Mystery Hunters and wikipedia.

Loch Ness Monster

The Loch Ness Monster. One of the most known creatures alive. Back in the Indians days, they would tell their children to stay out of the water or they would be eat by this “monster.” At first, it was just a myth to keep kids out of the water, until one of the kids witness it. Shocked, they follow the boy only to see he is telling the truth. How would have thought that one little white lie turned out to be true? Not them.The Loch Ness Monster. One of the most known creatures alive. Back in the Indians days, they would tell their children to stay out of the water or they would be eat by this “monster.” At first, it was just a myth to keep kids out of the water, until one of the kids witness it. Shocked, they follow the boy only to see he is telling the truth. Who would have thought that one little white lie turned out to be true? Not them. The Loch Ness Monster was just a myth from back then until that boy saw it. So how did others find it? By just looking out into a lake in 1933 by George Spicer and his wife. While riding in the boat during the nigh, they claim they had “came close to a dragon or pre-historic animal.” When Alex Campbell published this in a journal for his hometown, it hit the big paper. In the newspapers around the world, this “monster” was called ‘monster fish,’ ‘dragon,’ and other big news liners. Hugh Gray, photographer, was the fist to get a picture of Loch Ness Monster. After the picture was publisher the creature received official recognition from the Secretary of State for Scotland, ordering the police to prevent any attacks on it. After the article, letters started pouring in to the Courier(where Alex worked) claiming they had seen on land and water sightings of this “monster.” Most of the letters were anonymously. R.T Gould published his book in 1934. In this book was recordings of water he saw during the summer at the lake. The list of reported years of the sightings are: 1871,1933,WW2,and all during the 1950’s. The most recent sighting was February 16, 2008. It was discovered during one of the nights scientist were camping out when one heard something strange. Getting out of the tent, he looked towards the lake, and saw what him and others believed to be a myth. They had described the shape and the noise and are planning on doing research on it. IF it is real, where has it been at all these years? Does it kill humans? If it is real, then does it have more of them? For one thing I know, I’m never going there alone. So beware next time you are near the lake. He or She might not be so friendly.

Sources: same as other
Back to top Go down
stephy
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
stephy

Female
Regist. date : 2006-06-03
Number of posts : 30328
Real First Name : Stephanie, Polly calls me Stephums, Kim calls me Steffie and among others Im either mommy or granny
Warning :

House : ravenclaw
Crest : Cryptozoology: Part I Ravenc10
Wand : Walnut & Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue85 / 70085 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptyThu Jun 05 2008, 20:37

Chupacabras
The Chupacabras is found mainly in North and South America. The key areas being Puerto Rico, Mexico, and the United States. There has been a lot of sightings down in Mexico of it. This animal is considered to be a pest because of the fact that it sucks out the blood of animals. Some of the kinds of animals that it gets blood from is goats and chickens. The first sighting of it was in the 1990’s in Puerto Rico. The Chupacabras is about the same size as a small baby bear. Running down it’s back right along it’s pine is a set of spikes that extend out of it’s back. These spikes start at its head and works it’;s way down to the base of it’s tail. The last this creature was spotted was in 2008 on January 11. The Chupacabras have received a bad name because it attacks farmers livestock even though it is just trying to survive. Many farmers when they go out to see to their goats or chickens they see that they were attacked by this creature and so they must now have to replace it and lose money in the process which makes the Chupacabras not a very likeable creature.

Loch Ness Monster
The Loch Ness Monster which is also called Nessie, Nessiteras rhomboptery, Niseag and The LNM. Nessie is believed to be found in Scotland’s Loch Ness as to where it got it’s name.Nessie is one of the most famous animals that are studied by cryptozoologists. The first this animal has first been mention was in 1933 and it’s story has been able to survive for many years and is well known among many, even those who are not cryptozoologists. Many have claimed to have seen it and even a few have been able to take a picture of it. These pictures that they show are not very good ones and so many can not go by just these images alone to be able to determined weather or not Nesssie is real. The Loch Ness Monster is spotted in the water and many describe it to look like it has a some what serpent like body and a face that is shaped like a horse. The last time Nessie was seen was in 2007 so if it was first spotted in 1933 and last seen in 2007 that would make Nessie 74 years old unless these people are not spotting the last Loch Ness Monster and there is more than one of them living there.
Sources
www.wikipedia.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/oddie_faneenala
Snapes_girl
1st Year
1st Year
Snapes_girl

Female
Regist. date : 2006-10-24
Number of posts : 6274
Real First Name : Nancy
Warning :

House : Slytherin - Where I have always belonged
Award Bar :
Cryptozoology: Part I Left_bar_bleue3 / 7003 / 700Cryptozoology: Part I Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I EmptyFri Aug 15 2008, 05:08

Here are the grades for this assignment. Congratulations to Just_Ginny for her awesome job and the extra points!

Just_Ginny - Hufflepuff - 50+5 for the best Writeup

torren_grace - Gryffindor - 46

violetriddle - Slytherin - 40

Stephy - Ravenclaw - 39
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cryptozoology: Part I   Cryptozoology: Part I Empty

Back to top Go down

Cryptozoology: Part I
Page 1 of 1